O2 Sensor help, please

Chaos A.D.

Dec 30, 2003
Webster, MA
Ok. so i bought some MIL Eliminators off of a guy on stangnet and popped them into the rear O2 sensors, but I am still pulling two O2 sensor error codes, causing my car to run lean. i don't want to think i was sold faulty O2 sensors, so i have a couple of questions, if anyone can help.

1. I had to extend the O2 sensors for the O/R X about 20 inches, which i did by using butt-connects and then running electrical tape over the whole thing to keep the connections in place. If one or two of those wires were crossed or loose, would that cause an error code with the MILs in place or should the MILs work no matter what?

2. There is a slight chance i still have an exhaust leak from when the X-pipe was put on. Could an exhaust leak cause two O2 sensor error codes to pop up in the EEC or would an exhaust leak have a different kind of code all its own?

I will eventually swap to long-tubes and a catted, shorty-H, so i am skeptical about buying a brand new pair of Eliminators just to see if they will work. if anyone has any input, i'd appreciate some help. until i can get the funds for the LTs and H pipe, i'd like to have my car running normal and not lean. btw.....anyone know how much power loss that is?

thanks,

joe

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

SES light

P0133 Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit Slow Response - Bank No. 1.
P0153 Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit Slow Response - Bank No. 2.
Go to autozone and have them run the codes for you. If these are the ones you are getting then it may also be the MAF. I had the same problem with my 03 GT after I got the MAC longtubes and dr. Gas xpipe and also had the TB/Upper plenum, and CAI.
If not, one if these could be your problem:
P0171 System Too Lean - Bank No. 1.
P0172 System Too Rich - Bank No. 1.
P0174 System Too Lean - Bank No. 2.
P0175 System Too Rich - Bank No. 2.

I'm throwing a code right now after I put my LTs and O/R X-pipe on.. but I'm gonna try the SLP o2 simulators. You could just buy something like a Diablo Predator and turn them off :shrug:

Did you reset the computer by having the codes erased or diconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes?

An exhaust leak would throw a code but it would be a strange coinsidence that you would have a leak on both side. Usually people have trouble with the passenger side since that is the one hardest to get too. Try tightening the bolts again

Crossing the wires would give you an circuit error (I think). It wouldn't be the normal codes your would get fron not having cats. Just trace the wires to make sure they connected to each side as they would be if you didn't use the extra wire at all.

What codes are you getting? Unless you messed with both front o2 sensors, it's not causing you to run lean. The rear sensors only monitor the efficiency of the catalytic converters. The front sensors are what cause you to run lean or rich.

If you can tell us the codes, we can narrow it down. If you know the codes, Bank 1 is passenger side, Bank 2 is driver side.

Personally, when I had the front driver side wires crossed from extending them, I got P0059.

honestly, i forget what the codes are. i had it plugged in just out of curiosity while i was getting my inspection sticker the other day. there were two codes, that i know, both for the O2 sensors. one of them had an error code for the O2 and said "STUCK LEAN." i'll have to see if i can hit auto zone so i can get the exact codes for you guys. i appreciate the help. i'll swing over there tomorrow and post again tomorrow night when i get into work.

thanks again,

joe

BTW. i originally disconnected both terminals on the battery for a minute or two, but i also had the guy that gave me the inspection sticker clear them off with his machine. is one way better than the other?

thanks,

joe

okay, i'm back. i went to AutoZone today. the error codes on the guy's machine were P0060 and P2273, neither of which are on the sticky thread to help me understand what they mean. can anyone help?

:shrug:

thanks,

joe

Chaos A.D. said:
Ok. so i bought some MIL Eliminators off of a guy on stangnet and popped them into the rear O2 sensors, but I am still pulling two O2 sensor error codes, causing my car to run lean. i don't want to think i was sold faulty O2 sensors, so i have a couple of questions, if anyone can help.

1. I had to extend the O2 sensors for the O/R X about 20 inches, which i did by using butt-connects and then running electrical tape over the whole thing to keep the connections in place. If one or two of those wires were crossed or loose, would that cause an error code with the MILs in place or should the MILs work no matter what?

2. There is a slight chance i still have an exhaust leak from when the X-pipe was put on. Could an exhaust leak cause two O2 sensor error codes to pop up in the EEC or would an exhaust leak have a different kind of code all its own?

I will eventually swap to long-tubes and a catted, shorty-H, so i am skeptical about buying a brand new pair of Eliminators just to see if they will work. if anyone has any input, i'd appreciate some help. until i can get the funds for the LTs and H pipe, i'd like to have my car running normal and not lean. btw.....anyone know how much power loss that is?

thanks,

joe

:flag:

BTW the rear 02 monitors ( thats what those are behind the cat) are not used by the computer for fuel mixture purposes. if your car is leaning out, this is not the reason why. the rear 02 sensors ( they are called monitors, if downstream) are only used too let the PCM know if the cat converters are not cleaing the exhaust gases properly. they have zero effect on air fuel ratio.

even the upstream switching 02's have very very very little effect on WOT operation. the PCM ignores any 02 readings at WOT, due too the narrow band 02 sensors inability too read a accurate reading when not at stochiometric.

thanks for the info about the O2s. i saw someone else's post about a P0059 because his front O2s were crossed, so that might be why i am getting the P0060, for my rear ones, but now i need to know why i am getting the P2273, which i know said either "stuck lean" or "stuck rich." if i had a leak on the passenger side from the gasket moving during install, could that cause a problem with the front O2? :bang: i hate not knowing my stuff, but i that's how we learn, i suppose. maybe i'll be the one giving advice someday. :)

thanks again.....one step closer to an answer

-joe

Yea I was the guy with the P0059 code. Both your codes are for the rear drivers side o2 sensor. You've got crossed wires, or your mil elims are spliced in wrong.