O2 sensor removal help

alchemist

Jul 14, 2019
north carolina
Any hints for removing the O2 sensor on the right (passenger) side? The O2's bolt shoulder is almost touching the transmission case. I don't have an o2 tool, but I do have a nice crowsfoot flare socket that works fine most of the time. Surely you don't have to remove the right side exhaust manifold?

Thanks,
RT

• Sponsors (?)

Automatic transmission? Is it rusted badly? I've usually just used a quality open end wrench and worked it loose while spraying it with penetrating oil.

Yes sir. Automatic transmission. The bung on the passenger side is right up close to the transmission bell housing where it flares out. No way you’re getting an open end wrench in there. I really can’t get my crowfoot socket even on the thing.

Attachments

• 8E499605-AAD8-4337-B214-9BBC41B86A65.jpeg
    8E499605-AAD8-4337-B214-9BBC41B86A65.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 84
Drop the H pipe down to gain clearance? I don't know what they look like underneath with an auto so I may be of no help.

Reactions: 1 user
You’re on to something JM Glasgow. That looks to be the easiest option - removing H pipe and swinging the right side out away from transmission case. Removing the manifold from the engine would be a biotch, esp on passenger side!

Truly, you can’t even get a wrench around the o2 sensor’s bolt with how close it is to the transmission case.

Assuming you'll be replacing them, chop the wire and slip a wrench over it. If it's still not enough clearance you have about an inch of o2 sensor body you can destroy before you hit the 6 point.

I have the stock hpipe (or at least, stock style replacement) and was able to swap the o2 sensors with the AOD in there. That said, when I swapped the AOD for a t5 I dropped the hpipe with the o2s in it.

If you're in a bind no need to be pretty

On my passenger side, you can’t get the O2 socket around base of sensor, because of the transmission bell housing. The housing is literally about 1mm away from the o2 sensor base. So no way you’re getting a socket on it. Best idea do far looks like disconnect h-pipe and swing exhaust over a little.