O2 Sensors too short

saleen137

Nov 11, 2003
Bellflower
I currently installed a Mac O/R H-pipe on my mustang gt and switched over tbe BBK O/R X- pipe to the Saleen. After running into a problem with the exhaust flange gasket I had to wait for a new one to arrive. Now I've ran into 2 problems. One being that the O2 sensors up front are too short. The other problem is that the bolts that the BBK X-pipe came with are too freakin long and wont tighten up to the cat-back. So I'm solving this by going to a harware store and finding some shorter bolts.

My question is if I was to unplug the front O2 sensors and just install them into the bung will it damage anything if I run the car for a few miles without them connected to the plug? Also how hard is it to connect the MIL's E.

The O2 sensors are tighten on the X-pipe but they're not connected to the plug. What's the worst that can happen?

• Sponsors (?)

car might run like crap, won't hurt anything though - might also throw a check engine light (which you can clear after you fix them by just unplugging the battery for 20 minutes). Go buy some 02 sensor extensions, places like NAPA, Autozone, Advance, Pepboys, etc. should have them.

Not might, will. If anything is wrong with your front o2 sensors, you car will run in limp mode until you get it fixed.

I had the same problem on my 04 (common problem), and I solved it by disconnecting the socket thing (where you clip the o2 sensor into) from the body by breaking off the plastic screw. That should give you a few inches of slack.

BTW BBK X sounds like a fat man ripping it. All the time. Always.

Not might, will. If anything is wrong with your front o2 sensors, you car will run in limp mode until you get it fixed.

I had the same problem on my 04 (common problem), and I solved it by disconnecting the socket thing (where you clip the o2 sensor into) from the body by breaking off the plastic screw. That should give you a few inches of slack.

Thanks... I was wondering how I would be able to get at least one inch of slack. That's all I pretty much need to connect them back in. Or I might just get the MIL's and that should add enough slack to connect them and that way it wont throw the CEL.

Yeah I had the BBK on my Mustang GT with the Flowmaster Force II's and it sounded like crap. So I was hoping it wouldn't sound so bad with my Borla's I guess we'll find out and see. Thanks

you will need o2 extensions for the front, not mils. mils would be for the rear o2 sensors :nice:

The reason I said front was because when they originally installed my X-pipe on the Mustang they somehow placed them on the front. I don't know why but that's how they did it. So I figured I'd place them in the front as well but I might just spend a little more money and buy the extensions and place them up front and place the MIL's in the rear.

Thanks though:nice:

i had the same problem with the drivers side front o2, the bung was a good 1" farther than it should be. what i did was stick the o2 in first then use the whole pipe and the leverage to pull some extra slack out of the front o2 wiring.

i had the same problem with the drivers side front o2, the bung was a good 1" farther than it should be. what i did was stick the o2 in first then use the whole pipe and the leverage to pull some extra slack out of the front o2 wiring.

Yup thats the one I'm having trouble with. The passenger one I know I can get in but the driver side is the one that's giving me problems. I don't know If I want to pull the wiring any longer but I might just break off the plastic screw that holds the plug to the body.

He qualified his question by asking if it would damage anything for "a few miles". The car will not automatically go into limp mode if the 02's aren't working. It WILL most likely go into limp mode eventually, but it MIGHT not within just a few miles of driving.

I didn't read the few miles part, but I think it's safe to assume that if there's no reading from the front o2 sensors, the car goes into limp mode immediately.

Hey man I want to thank you and everyone else. I followed your advise and I was able to get the plug to release from the body and it gave me enough slack to connect the o2 sensors. My CEL is not on yet but I know it'll come on soon. I drove it for about 20 minutes since the car hasn't been driven in sometime.

On another note... I love the sound that it gave me compared to how it was with my mustang and the flows. Although I have a minor exhaust leak on the driver side connector to the catback I should have this fixed in the near future. Thanks everyone :SNSign: