Obnoxiously loud squealing noise

skywalker

Dec 22, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Okay here goes:

I changed the C4 in my 66 to a T-5. I also did headers at the same time and have not got them connected to mufflers just yet. I fire up the engine and I get an incredibly loud, high pitched squealing noise. Engine itself is running smooth.

I've eliminated the alternator, ps pump and water pump. I removed the starter and neither it nor the flywheel has damaged teeth.

To give you an idea how loud this is, it drowns out the exhaust through straight headers!!!!

I have a pilot bearing, not a bushing, if that helps. Clutch and throwout bearing are all new.

I did fill the tranny with fluid.

Any suggestions?

What kind of shape was your backing plate (also called block plate) in? If it is bent in the slightest, it can cause a rub with the flywheel. Ask me how I know :-( Either way, it sounds like your answer is inside that bellhousing so off it must come.
Posted via Mobile Device

Throwout Bearing?

Could be the throwout bearing / clutch adjustment. I the clutch is adjusted just so, the throwout bearing face could barely be making contact with the pressure plate fingers and make a chirping or squealing noise. Does the noise change / go away as you press on the clutch pedal?

Supposedly the late model throwout bearings are 100% duty cycle, meaning they are supposed to be in contact and rotating with the pressure plate at all times, even when the clutch is engaged. I didn't believe it myself at first, but I've seen it several places on the net, and Bruce at Modern Driveline confirmed it when I called him.

unfortunately all if you may be right. I haven't been home but to sleep since Sunday morning. As soon as I get an answer I'll update. Everyone. Keep this in mind though: very very loud and fairly high in pitch.