ODB1 or ODB2

• Sponsors (?)

What type of engine? It'd be a huge PITA to run a built 5.0 with an OBDII system, since the only ones I'm aware of that had it were Explorer and Mountaineer. I'm not too sure about tuning one of those, but they were also DIS ignition, so you may have trouble running a distributor. Sounds like a lot of work to me, so I'd choose the OBDI.

What type of engine? It'd be a huge PITA to run a built 5.0 with an OBDII system, since the only ones I'm aware of that had it were Explorer and Mountaineer. I'm not too sure about tuning one of those, but they were also DIS ignition, so you may have trouble running a distributor. Sounds like a lot of work to me, so I'd choose the OBDI.

mild 351 with distributor twin turbo. thinking 1996 f150 computer.

Ah, didn't think about that. For some reason I was thinking the F150 went to the 4.6 in 96. Talk to a tuner to see what they can do for ya with that computer before you bite the bullet and do it, but if it's doable, I think that could very well be the way to go.

i guess i'm going against the grain.

i'd go with OBDII. more programming options (98 and up, 96-97 comps suck), diagnostics i feel are easier, there are a number of people running 5.0s with DIS or COP. a person on this forum or allfordmustangs makes brackets for DIS and COP. you can pull the sensors and harness from a 98 explorer.

Ninety15.0: that's my opinion, i'm extremely comfortable with vehicle computer systems.

enyawix: there's nothing wrong with OBDI but if i was starting from scratch i would use OBDII with COP. since you want to run a distributor then go with OBDI. if you're thinking of running a carb, you could run just a Duraspark II ignition.

i remember the OBDII having more program parameters that could be tweaked. i don't remember specifics because it's been about 3 years since i did them.

the 96-97 computers used parametes/settings from the 95 and prior 5.0L cars on a 4.6L engine. in 98 ford changed the programming specifically for the 4.6L series.