Odd cylinder balance test results. Possible problem.

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
To try to solve my new lack of power problem, I used a star tester to see if I had any codes. Typical codes, I had an EGR code, thermactor code, and a temp sensor code. I have the vac line disconnected from my EGR, I don't have the smog pump, and I did the test when the engine was cold. So none of those codes helped me. So then I did a cylinder balance test, three stages.

The first stage it gave me a 90, which is pass. The second stage gave me a 40 (cylinder 4), then the third stage gave me another 90.

From my understanding of how the star tester runs this test, it does a slight cylinder drop off during the first stage, then a harder drop off on the second, even harder on the third...and so on. I am just not sure what to make of two passes and one fail.

• Sponsors (?)

Chris, given my understanding of the graduations of the test criteria, I'm not sure how those results are possible. AFAIK, you should not have been able to pass test 3 after failing test 2.

I might run the test again in case some other anomaly creeped up during the test.

Good luck bud.