Odd noise in 5th gear after short throw shifter install

BLACKCOUPEGT

Aug 9, 2009
Hey guys this is my first post on here as a new member. Anyway i got myself a pro 5.0 short throw shifter for my 04 gt, however after a couple drives with it installed i've noticed a weird noise when im driving in 5th gear (and slightly when in 3rd). its a dull metal on metal rubbing noise, not quite a grind, that seems to be coming from the trans. it only happens in these gears and only when the clutch is out and giving it throttle. curious if anyone has had this problem before? any ideas what to do first? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I would double check the 3rd gear stop bolt on the shifter. It may not be adjusted correctly and is not allowing 5th gear to engage completely or is adjusted too close to the handle and it's rubbing against it. Or it could simply be normal transmission noises that you don't hear with the isolation gaskets and bushings on the stock shifter but check that stop bolt to be safe.

TBH, every Mustang I've driven, even my mom's 05 when it had <30k on it, had some gear whine. My car, which was babied by the previous owners, even had it and it was multiplied slightly after my MGW install.

Apparently, the first thing I need to do before I install a short throw, is to remove the shift boot and gasket and drive around to see how much noise my tranny makes as a baseline before I install the new shifter.

Part of the reason factory shifters feel so slushy is because of all the insulation they use to filter out gear noises. Aftermarket short throw shifters remove this insulation so you are going to hear some noise. Unless it's grinding (you already said you checked the stop bolts), I wouldn't worry about it at all. Mine makes a good amount of noise in 5th gear as well, and so did my last Mustang with the same shifter. Drove it from Texas to Florida twice with no issues.

i used RTV when i installed the shifter, then followed the supplied instructions from pro 5.0 to reinstall the inner boot, and no i didnt put the gasket between the shifter and handle. good to know im not the only one with some noise in 5th

3650 trannies have internal stops. Adjust the bolts all of the way out so that they are not being used as stops.

Nah you are thinking of the T-56.

bullit 736 is correct. The TR3650 transmission has internal shift stops.

TSB's and Special Messages

Tremec said:
NOTE:From Tremec dated 03/01
Tremec Transmissions
Service Bulletin 03.01

Subject:
Aftermarket Shifter Stops

Transmission Models Affected:
All

Severe damage may be caused by installing an aftermarket shifter with "shift stops" on any TREMEC transmission. All TREMEC transmissions are designed and manufactured with built-in shift stops to prevent over shifting. Therefore; shift stops on aftermarket shifters are totally unnecessary when used on a TREMEC transmission. TREMEC "TR series" transmissions have multiple shift rails with shift stops on the gearing. TREMEC "T series" transmissions have a single shift rail system with stops built into the guide plate.

When installing an aftermarket shifter on a TREMEC transmission it is best to remove the shift stops to avoid miss adjustment, and the potential of the screws vibrating lose. A misadjusted shift stop can cause an under-shift, which may lead to a gear jump-out situation. If the transmission jumps out of gear, the shift fork can be bent causing permanent damage to the transmission. Shift forks can also be damaged by "clash shifting". A clash is caused by a missed shift.

Neither an "under-shift", nor a "clash shift" can be prevented by shift stops. TREMEC shift forks are designed to take loads up to 1,000 lbs. However, a gear jump-out may well exceed 1,000 lbs. of force, which may result in a permanently damaged transmission.