Odd. something really odd about tranny i think.

charlesw6954

Founding Member
May 3, 2002
Mo
if i leave it in 3rd and go 20mph (This is an example) then the car starts goin back and fourth like someone who doesnt know how to drive a stick. but i could usually leave it in 4th and do 20mph and that wont happen. this is wierd

well i do have a rear main seal on engine thats leaking. umm when i got the tranny replaced the guy forgot to put the crossmember hanger back on so would that make the tranny site lower and cause the leak on the rear seal of the tranny? cause if so ill get another hanger and new seals.

• Sponsors (?)

Charles, you sure have a lot of problems with the stang. :-(

on the first part, are you saying that if its almost lugging with little or no throttle appication (i dont think i could be in 3rd at 20 mph), it stumbles? im not sure thats what you are trying to convey, but if so, i would not worry. just dont do it. if thats not what you mean, forget what i said; my bad.

and your (new?) rear main is leaking? not sure if you had new one done with the trans install...and the tailshaft seal on the trans leaks? if so, i would take it back and make him eat it and fix it since it was his negligence that caused it.
also, as i recall, there is a bearing in the trans tailshaft. good time to replace it.

some folks like the teflon rear main seals. i would use one if doing it.
good luck, Charles (and sorry if i missed the boat on what you were saying).

i think lugging is a good word. if i give it a little bit of gas in third at 20mph it does nothing, but if i let off the throttle completely it will start lugging back and fourth. its been a long time since i got the tranny replaced. its a 4banger tranny. i dont know why he didnt replace the rear main seal on the engine. owell once i get an electric impact gun then ill start replacing seals.

Charles, i dont know how your car ran before all this stuff was done. on mine, if i were to try to do what you say, it would buck as well. i think most cars do (my eclipse, my CBR, and the stang all do). the cars arent meant to be lugged like that.

i see nothing wrong with the trans based on what you said. that comes down to engine management. i know my stang is really bad about it, as it will "hunt" for an idle occasionally. this comes back to the idle surging (cleaning iac, checking tps, and setting the idle set screw), and while its effects are felt at idle, they are very much multiplied when in gear (each "surge" translates into the bucking you describe).

i would imagine this is the worst when you give it no throttle or light throttle. if you were to mash it (which is horrible for the motor, BTW), you would not feel it, as the idle surge is not a factor.

if this sounds like what you experience, i would not worry about it. i bet most people dont do what you describe. i know i often launch at 1500 rpm (my clutch engagement is abrupt with a single hook quadrant, and it smooths out the surging).

like the old joke.
patient:doc, when i hit my foot with a hammer, it hurts.
doc: well, dont do that.

lugging the engine is really hard on it (bottom end, etc does not like that).
just my thoughts. good luck. :D