odd wiring issues with power windows and door locks, help please

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
my passenger door lock actuator has been broken i know this, the driver one works fine, the only thing that worked when we started working on this was the passenger side unlock, no other button worked. i ordered new switches and then the passenger locked and unlocked the driver door. then there wasnt 12 volts at the center of the driver switch, so we ran another wire through the boot and door and put it in the same location in the harness and then the driver side worked for a little, now its not working at all. weve still got 12v at the center of the lock unlock switch, and when you hit unlock it puts 12 volts to both wires (ones supposed to be ground and the other 12v, but both are 12) and lock does nothing. and the passenger side wont unlock or lock the driver side. it seems like before the passenger side unlocking was intermitent.

whats even more strange is that the passenger window rolls down fine, but sometimes it wont go back up, and we diagnosed this to be when you go to put it up sometimes it puts 12v at both wires, again when ones supposed to ground and the other is hot. so somewhere something is making both wires 12v some how and im pretty sure it just killed 50 dollars worth of unlock lock switches. the power window circuit breaker puts out 12.7 volts consistantly, and i dont know what could make this intermitent.

any ideas ?

• Sponsors (?)