Odometer Gears, where to find

Jinx

I like cats, cats like me. Cats and I fully agree.
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 2, 2003
Cat Country
Where can I get replacement Odometer gears for a '95 Auto GT?? Did a search, most sites listed are no longer in service or seem untrustworthy.

I know that the gears are stripped or missing teeth (common problem with high mileage '95s). All cluster guages function, clock works, mirrors work so I know it's not a fuse. Both Odometer and tripmeter are non-functioning.

Thanks,
Rob

• Sponsors (?)

You mean the gears inside the actual odometer? I would say to look at the local ford dealer, or maybe a 50resto.com or mustangsunlimited.com ...

I have had good luck with the latter... Although I think I would just replace the whole unit for probbaly not too much more than just the gears...

Thanks for the info guys. I think the gears I'm looking for are like the ones in post #3, not sure though because I haven't taken off the dash and instrument panel to verify. I think the inner gears of the odometer are fine. I think it's just the main drive gear that is broken.

I found a good write-up with lots of pics. Link to write-up It's for a T-bird but it should be similar process for the Stang.

Still looking for other gear sites. 2 that I've found so far show 2 different gears each, for ford vehicles. One site claims gear "A" while the other site claims gear "B". Can someone post a pic of the actual gears for a '95 GT Auto?

Thanks,
Rob

fordmain.jpg

That one.

And odometergears.com is THE place to get em.

Jinx102672 said:
Thanks for the help :nice: . Now all I need is a cool enough day to do the work (no garage :( )

Its easy to replace... the hardest part is getting the headlight switch knob off.

Then you pop the cluster bezel off, remove a bunch of 1/4" screws, pull out the cluster and remove the two wiring harnesses.

Then remove the screws around the bezel holding the clear plastic on. Pop out the cluster with the odometer in it, there are three (i think it was three) individual gauge clusters in the entire assembly. In the back, you will see the broken odometer gear. Remove, replace, throw some white lithium grease on it, and reverse.

what if my odomoeter/trip AND speedo dont work???? The onyl time it works (and its for a SPLIT second) is when i launch hard in 1st gear. The speedo will jump slightly and the odometer will move a tad. Ive put 2 tenths of a mile in the last 4 months :p

ok seriously this is fakin annoying, what is it?

MustangvertGT said:
what if my odomoeter/trip AND speedo dont work???? The onyl time it works (and its for a SPLIT second) is when i launch hard in 1st gear. The speedo will jump slightly and the odometer will move a tad. Ive put 2 tenths of a mile in the last 4 months :p

ok seriously this is fakin annoying, what is it?

Check for blown fuses first. There is the posibility that your speedo gear in the driveline is shot.

Jinx102672 said:
Check for blown fuses first. There is the posibility that your speedo gear in the driveline is shot.

Ive removed the speedo gear in the tranny and its fine. Ive even replaced the VSS just incase. Other than the ones under the dash near your left leg when u drive, are there others??? Those are all fine :(

Grr.