Off Road Y Pipe For A V6 Mustang

junkyardjeff

Aug 17, 2016
I am working on a 84 small LTD wagon that is basicly a Fairmont that has a plugged cat converter,I got looking at it and there are two small converters one on each side right after the manifolds and one after they go togather. Not knowing what is plugged I was wondering if there was a offroad Y pipe available for the V6s,it looks like the Y pipe will have to come off so I can bust a hole through both small converters so I can get it to run long enough to see if there is anything causing them to plug and go from there. Before I do anything is there any way to tell which one is plugged.

• Sponsors (?)

That's a good question, there aren't many V6 cars on this forumn.

My "new" car has a V6 in it for now and I'll need to make it run for awhile. I'd kind of like an answer to this one as well.

Let's get some help from the smart guys @jrichker ? @stykthyn ? @Boosted92LX ? @Mustang5L5 ? @madmike1157 ?

Lol at you thinking I'm a smart guy...

I am working on a 84 small LTD wagon that is basicly a Fairmont that has a plugged cat converter,I got looking at it and there are two small converters one on each side right after the manifolds and one after they go togather. Not knowing what is plugged I was wondering if there was a offroad Y pipe available for the V6s,it looks like the Y pipe will have to come off so I can bust a hole through both small converters so I can get it to run long enough to see if there is anything causing them to plug and go from there. Before I do anything is there any way to tell which one is plugged.

You'd probablyhave better luck finding hen's teeth or duck lips than an off road y pipe for that thing. If you have a temp gun it might work to shoot the pipe behind the cats to see which one is cooler. If you don't have a pyrometer gun, bump it with the back of your fingers quickly after a short run on jack stands. That should tell you pretty quick.

Reactions: 1 user
Doubt there's an off-road y pipe off the shelf.

Most 3.8 v6 mustangs convert to an h pipe rather than mess with a y pipe exhaust

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

A standard 302 h pipe should bolt up to it. I'm not familiar with the undercarriage of an Ltd and where the crossmembers go so you may need to do some fabbing. I doubt it's plug and play.

I am going to take a IR thermometer to it and see what one is plugged but they will all probably get gutted,I was hoping to find a non converter Y pipe since it will have to come off any way and could of cashed in the bad ones.

LMBO! All the suggestions I've read so far are roughly of equal time.

Trying to find new aftermarket parts for an older V6 is challenging at best.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do. I'll be interested in seeing it, at least until I swap out the v6 out of my blue car.

All the cats will get gutted after I find out what ones are plugged first.

Soo, If you are going to gut them all anyway, why waste time trying to figure which one is plugged? Just pull the pipe and beat the guts out of them if that's the plan..