Off topic- I.N.S citizenship test- very interesting

• Sponsors (?)

gutlessTahoe said:
8 of 10. I didnt know the electoral college is what elected the president, I thought it was the people who woted that generates who gets the electoral votes? :shrug:

Basically everyone in a state votes for Candidate A or B. The majority winner in the state 'wins' that state, and counts as 1 vote. In a nut shell, when all 50 states are done voting, the person who won the most states is declared the next president.

The way it works, Canidate A could have 10x the votes by the people but Canidate B could have won the most states with 1/2 the votes of the first person and B would still be declared the winner.

And imagine how convenient it is when you're tied with the other canidate and your brother just happens to be the governor of a certain state down south. :rolleyes:

Tylerb59 said:
The way it works, Canidate A could have 10x the votes by the people but Canidate B could have won the most states with 1/2 the votes of the first person and B would still be declared the winner.

Not really. Each state has different numbers of electoral votes based on population. So states like California will count more than a state like Rhode Island. So, what should really happen is that the person with the most votes should win -- but when elections are close -- that's when it doesn't always happen.

As for the test, I failed with a 6/10 -- some of the questions surprised me...I didn't know things like not knowing who leads some city on the other side of the country would disqualify me from being an American. Guess I'm lucky some dumb schmuck like me was born here.