Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

How do you get your dealer to do this TSB? I went into my dealer yesterday and it was as if there is no tsb. I walked in, I went right to the service manager. Told him there was a tsb on my tranny and I wanted the work done. He immediately called the tranny person over and said "he wants his car check out because of a 1/2 grind"... i didn't even tell him what it was about and he automatically knew. Well she drove it and it was a warm day, so of course it didn't grind, but it still feels notchy.. Heck, I could hear it when I was in the passenger's seat. She said she didn't hear or feel ANYTHING at ALL. :mad: :damnit: So he put down that they couldn't replicate the problem and verify it and because of that they couldn't do the work. I pulled out the numbers and he's like i don't need those, we can't do the work unless we can replicate the problem. Then he told me i had to drop it off one night when it will be cold the next morning and they'll see if they can replicate that... I was so mad... If I hadn't read this thread, I'd have just been like ok fine... but Now I'm just fuming... what can I do???

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe you could take it to another dealer. I thought that since there is a TSB out, that means that proves there is a problem and if you complain about it, then they have to fix it. They don't see the problem because they don't drive a mustang with this problem everyday like you or me or anyone else in this thread. If they did, they would know what you are complaining about and would fix it right away. I would ask for the area rep's phone number and talk to him or her about it. That's what I would do anyway. Just don't take no for an answer! It says right in the TSB that they may not be able to duplicate it in warm weather and that the problem is more pronounced when it gets down to 40. (it says something like that anyway)

Go here to see the TSB. I would print it out also.

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32640

I've been reading through a lot of this thread but I've got a question. I picked up my 01 GT a few weeks ago, and I've noticed the grind from 1-2. Even though it only has 23,000 miles, the Ford warranty is no longer in effect because the car is 3 years old. So basically do I just have to wait until this becomes a serious issue then pay for it myself? Also, what is the estimated cost of all of this?

Alacrity said:
I've been reading through a lot of this thread but I've got a question. I picked up my 01 GT a few weeks ago, and I've noticed the grind from 1-2. Even though it only has 23,000 miles, the Ford warranty is no longer in effect because the car is 3 years old. So basically do I just have to wait until this becomes a serious issue then pay for it myself? Also, what is the estimated cost of all of this?

Just to be sure your warranty is finished, the warranty starts on the in-service date. If you don't have a warranty, you could call Ford Customer service and plead your case or work something out with the dealer if you bought it from one. Chevy has come through for me doing that.

Sounds like the cost of a rebuild is fairly high. I would try another tranny fluid like Amsoil ATF. That got rid of all my issues with my 3650.

Otherwise you have new and used options to choose from or just buy the parts and rebuild it yourself. You can download the manual from Tremac.

Don't think the tranny's in the 2004's need to be upgraded. Anyone else have problems with the 2004 tranny?

I have a 2004, and while I dont have the 1-2 problem really bad, the 2-3 problem is horrible on mine. I cant shift to 3rd at over 2000 rpm or it binds really bad. I took it into the dealer, and got told sorry we cant duplicate it, by 2 different dealers and that my car is not eligble under the TSB. I am really almost to the point of trading it in and getting a WRX STI. I have a car that doesnt drive well and Ford wont do anything to fix it. :bang:

Put a steeda or Pro 5.0 shifter in, then change to Amsoil ATF. When you shift, just push the shifter forward without guiding it for the 2nd to 3rd.
Just my opinion, but I think the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is so slippery it doesn't let the syncro match speeds.

Spazilton said:
I have a 2004, and while I dont have the 1-2 problem really bad, the 2-3 problem is horrible on mine. I cant shift to 3rd at over 2000 rpm or it binds really bad. I took it into the dealer, and got told sorry we cant duplicate it, by 2 different dealers and that my car is not eligble under the TSB. I am really almost to the point of trading it in and getting a WRX STI. I have a car that doesnt drive well and Ford wont do anything to fix it. :bang:

i had the same problem with my 04, i put a tri-ax on it and still could not get it to go into 3 without letting off the gas. i took it to the track ran a couple of passes and then it was fine. dont know what happened at the track but something made it better.

Well I finally got my car back after they screwed up the tranny installing the TSB so they ordered me a new tranny. They installed it and 1-4 are working perfectly... got on the freeway and 5th gear sounds like gears clashing together... I thought maybe in just needed to be broken in some... However after 300 miles it is still doing it. So it is at the dealer yet again. Hopefully they figure something out cause my warranty ends in 2 days. I don't understand it. It is a brand new tranny and 1-4 no problems... 5th however sounds like a monkey F'ing a football.

I dropped mine off last night, and ford just called me back. They said they could not duplicate the problem, but they also said that the "clunking" was normal. Is this BS? They said that because its normal, they will not take the tranny apart to look into it any further. Im going now to pick it up and im going to have a tech drive with me so i can show them the clunk.

Yeah, well i went back to the dealership and asked a tech to drive around with me. All the techs were gone and i refused to leave untill i spoke to a manager, so they complied. I took the manager for a ride in the car and showed him the clunk. He asked if he could drive it and i of course let him. He was able to reporoduce it (not like its that hard) and is going to keep it overnight and have the service manager look at it. But the tech that orignally looked at my car gave me a copy or some TSB.. which i posted below:

"17510 - 1999-2004 MUSTANG 4.6L DRIVELINE CLUNK DURING GEAR CHANGES AND/OR QUICK ACCELERATION AFTER COAST (TIP-IN CLUNK)
Some 1999-2004 Mustangs equipped with a 4.6L engine may exhibit a "clunk" noise from the driveline during gear changes and/or a quick acceleration after a coast (tip-in clunk). The clunk may be present in multiple gears and is considered Normal. This is caused by driveline lash reacting to the rapid response of the engine when the throttle is suddenly opened. "

Funny, because the clunk is present when i am rolling @ 2 MPH, and not JUST "when the throttle is suddenly opened." Hopefully they call me tomorrow with this situation resolved, because i dont feel like dealing with this BS. :bang:

BTW, where can i get a copy of the TSB to show them?

Oh... I thought you was talking about the transmission problem. The problem you are having, I am also having and they won't fix mine either. I believe it is a problem in the rear end. Too much "free play". I can be driving really slow and hear it, especially if I turn a corner with the cutch in and in 2nd gear. I also hear it a lot when shifting, and I'm doing that normally without "hot-rodding". It isn't normal and SHOULD be fixed. If you get yours fixed, let us know and I'll try again to convince my service manager to fix mine also.

brianmef said:
Oh... I thought you was talking about the transmission problem. The problem you are having, I am also having and they won't fix mine either. I believe it is a problem in the rear end. Too much "free play". I can be driving really slow and hear it, especially if I turn a corner with the cutch in and in 2nd gear. I also hear it a lot when shifting, and I'm doing that normally without "hot-rodding". It isn't normal and SHOULD be fixed. If you get yours fixed, let us know and I'll try again to convince my service manager to fix mine also.

I am talking about the tranny. I only hear it on 1-2 or 2-1. Other than that i am 100% satisfied with every aspect of my car.

TSB is all good!! So Far.....

I picked up my 03GT last night from Crossroads Ford, Raleigh for the TSB and it is ALL GOOD!! Man, what a difference!! I put about 100 miles on so far and it is awesome..I forgot how a real 5 speed should feel..The clunking is all but gone..The early morning grind is gone...Feels real solid and I totally recommend for everyone to get this done ASAP..

However, there was a strange notation on the Servive invoice, and I quote "Request extra shop time, did NOT have special tools to press main shaft apart"..When I asked the service rep "what the F**K is that??", he said they "improvised" and the tool in question costs a pretty penny...Hey Pal, my ride costs a pretty penny as well and it seems real bad that Crossroads Ford, one of the largest Ford service facilities in the USA, would not have a "special" tool to do a job right..Maybe they can borrow one from Autozone or PepBoys like the rest of us!!! My Service Evaluation will be interesting and I will find out from their management why a Tech would put something like "No Special Tool" on a customers bill...Sounds like he may be covering his butt...

I will give it another 400 miles and report back but the initial impression is real good...It is a shame that Ford/Tremec really pissed a whole lot of "hardcore" folks off by having saying things are "normal"..We are the folks that will continue to buy whatever they put a "GT" moniker on and I'm sure they have lost a few good references as well..

Till next time!!!!

New Guy with old tranny problems

I just picked up an 01 GT last Saturday unbenounced to the fact that the mustang tranny has some serious issues. Of course I really didn't notice the "1-2 clunck" until I was well on my way home from the dealer. I figured rather than flip out on the sales guy, I would check some mustang discussion board in an effort to find an easy answer (low tranny fluid, worn part etc). I was hoping for one or two people having a similar problem. I never expected to be reading 57 pages of unhappy stang owners.

Long story short, I called ford service to make an apt, called the sales guy to make sure my 60 day dealership warranty would cover this (I turned down the extended warranty! DUMB) Sales guy was very cool and said it would be covered. I will be dropping car off Saturday for the week. I'm glad they will cover this repair but after reading several posts I'm not 100% confident ford should be the ones doing to fix. Seems like this is a pretty extensive job and maybe a tranny shop should take care of the gears etc. I guess warranty is better than me breaking my back pulling out the tranny.

Does anyone have the exact wording for this particular TSB. I couldn't find a link with the exact wording. I want to provide ford all the knowlege posted in these 57+ pages. I also want to provide a list of parts that are included in the "kit"

Thanks for the help! Wish me luck Saturday :D

AlcHemiE said:
Yeah, well i went back to the dealership and asked a tech to drive around with me. All the techs were gone and i refused to leave untill i spoke to a manager, so they complied. I took the manager for a ride in the car and showed him the clunk. He asked if he could drive it and i of course let him. He was able to reporoduce it (not like its that hard) and is going to keep it overnight and have the service manager look at it. But the tech that orignally looked at my car gave me a copy or some TSB.. which i posted below:

"17510 - 1999-2004 MUSTANG 4.6L DRIVELINE CLUNK DURING GEAR CHANGES AND/OR QUICK ACCELERATION AFTER COAST (TIP-IN CLUNK)
Some 1999-2004 Mustangs equipped with a 4.6L engine may exhibit a "clunk" noise from the driveline during gear changes and/or a quick acceleration after a coast (tip-in clunk). The clunk may be present in multiple gears and is considered Normal. This is caused by driveline lash reacting to the rapid response of the engine when the throttle is suddenly opened. "

Funny, because the clunk is present when i am rolling @ 2 MPH, and not JUST "when the throttle is suddenly opened." Hopefully they call me tomorrow with this situation resolved, because i dont feel like dealing with this BS. :bang:

BTW, where can i get a copy of the TSB to show them?

Yeah well the service guy called me thismorning and again said this is normal. I just hung up the phone, drove over and picked my car up. Now its on to the next incompetant dealer to tell me its normal. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Untill sombody will ****ing fix this damn thing... Now im just getting pissed off.... :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: