Officially an Antique

Blown88GT

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1999
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Antique88.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Any restrictions with the Antique plate in FL? Here in PA, you can only drive during certain hours and not after dark. That's why I'm keeping my Classic plate that has no driving restrictions, no yearly registration, and emissions exempt.

Nice.
I have antique plates on my 93GT, here in CT. you can register as an antique after 20yrs.
Emissions exempt after 25yrs.
Used to be 25 to be classified as Antique, they raised it to 30 about 7 years ago.
Been insured with Grundy since 25 years.
FL eliminated all inspections, including emissions testing, for all vehicles regardless of age.
No restrictions, other classifications are restricted & have different style tags.
Antique tags used to be permanent, now 10 years with yearly (or 2 year) renewal, same as for "normal" tag.
Antique tag yearly fee is less than normal tag.
I only renewed for 1 year to get on to even year cycle instead of odd year cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
actually in PA. you can drive at night, as long as you have all lights working. that was a very old stipulation, as model T's didn't have headlights.
im in PA also and am registered as antique, and I drive it whenever I feel like it. unless your passing the same cop everyday, and he notices your tags, whos gonna know??? oh and never paying registration, or dealing with inspections or emissions ever again is a nice plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
MA it's 25 years but you can only drive to and from shows or in parades. However I see it abused all the time and don't hear of guys getting ticketed

Too restrictive for me so I just do classic insurance and a vanity plate

Last edited:
Most police are oblivious of the restrictions on licence plates, as long as they are not expired they drive right by. Even the police cars with lpr just show the officer what it's registered to and expiration.
here the motorcycle tags have to show 'under 18' written on them

In Michigan, to run an "Antique" or "Same year as car" plate, you are only "allowed" to drive them to or from car shows, or parades. And since everyone follows the rules, that is exactly what everyone does....
:runaway:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Here in Alabama, practically every car that's old enough (used to be 25yrs old) runs a "Vintage" plate. They are everywhere. They charged me $11 for mine in 2013 and I never have to hear from them again.

That's great. I checked with the California DMV and it looks like we have a Historic plate option which I could get if I certify by signing a form that my '90 LX is "primarily driven in historic exhibitions, parades, or historic club activities". Sheez. Being California, I'm quite sure that it would cost even more than the standard registration, which for the Mustang is $120/year.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :hide:

It's threads like this one that make buying cars and parts harder. :ninja:

What we meant to say was:

"If you're sitting on one, you should put in the classifieds." Someone here will contact you and haul it away for you. :jester:

Reactions: 1 users