oil drain plug stuck

• Sponsors (?)

I was in the exact same situation.

They have bolt removers at Sear's (I forget exactly what they call them) that basically cut into the stuck bolt head when you hammer them on, and then you just wrench them off. Of course, you then have to replace the plug, but all in all it's not too expensive.

If you're just worried about stripping the bolts:

What I do is get a good socket that fits well. Then I use a my fist (a hammer would work) to hit the wrench - this has an impact effect to break the bolt free. It saves all that torque loading (like you do when removing lug nuts by hand and the wrench and everything feels like it's bending).

Good luck.

You may also try a "little" heat on the bolt as well.......Now the main point........I see you have the Opal....and that's good........now change your sig and put it on top.............of that civic....:rlaugh:

use a 5 point boxed end wrench and interlock the opposite end of the wrench with another wrench and use as a cheater bar as in the picture below or i have used a small pipe wrench and breaker bar and ensure you turn bolt left as your looking at the bolthead. some oil change buisnesses use a threadlocker on the oil bolts to prevent loss of oil bolt while driving requiring the buisness to buy customer a new motor..

View attachment 457368

bill302 said:
use a 5 point boxed end wrench and interlock the opposite end of the wrench with another wrench and use as a cheater bar as in the picture below or i have used a small pipe wrench and breaker bar and ensure you turn bolt left as your looking at the bolthead. some oil change buisnesses use a threadlocker on the oil bolts to prevent loss of oil bolt while driving requiring the buisness to buy customer a new motor..

View attachment 457304

I change oil every day and I probly have to do that to 40% of them that come in

HISSIN50 said:
If you're just worried about stripping the bolts:

What I do is get a good socket that fits well. Then I use a my fist (a hammer would work) to hit the wrench - this has an impact effect to break the bolt free. It saves all that torque loading (like you do when removing lug nuts by hand and the wrench and everything feels like it's bending).

Good luck.

Impact FTW!!!!!!