Oil Filter Hitting K-Member..... Need Solution or Fix

SRT Handz

I tripped & fell down and cut myself & got blood
Oct 10, 2004
La Mirada, CA
For a long time now, for some reason my oil filter has been hitting my k-member. Just to change the filter i have to hit the filter with a hammer a bend it a little to stop from hitting k-member just so i can get it on.

.... well now it hits and cracks my oil filter and leaks hard....WTF i am supposed to do.?!?!?

I was thinking a Oil Filter Relocation Kit would fix the issue..... Does anyone know where i can get a Oil Filter Relocation Kit? I know Maximum Motorsports sells one but its $200...anyone know of a less expensive one?

I heard that a FL-757 oil filter is 1 inch shorter than the FL-820s. I also heard that the Mobil-1 oil filter is ALOT shorter..... can anyone confirm any of this?

• Sponsors (?)

i was thinking motor mount also..... But is always been REALLY close.....now its just WAY to close.

Anyone know where to get a Oil Filter Relocation kit at a better price that MM's $200?

Not only that...

Fix the problem. Don't band-aid it. It can lead to more probs down the road and in the end it would have been easier and cheaper to fix it properly the first time

Solution

I plan on doing an oil filter relocation new month but i need something to use till i get all my parts in.

After extensive research i discovered that the Mobil-1 & K&N oil filters are shorter than the FL-820s.... But not buy much. Even more searching gave me an answer. Ford makes a oil filter called the FL-757. This is a Motorcraft Part oil Filter for a early 80's Honda Accord/Prelude 1.6 liter. The Filter is 1 inch shorter than the FL-820s and has the same diameter and threading. I called EVERY Ford dealership in Southern California and NOBODY carries the filter. The part would have to be ordered from Dearborn.

I took a little drive down to The Parts store and Got the Purolater filter thats equivalent to the FL-757. I also purchased to Mobil-1 filter just to see if it would work.

The Pic Below Shows the Comparison of the Short FL-757 to the Mobil-1 and the FL820s

OilFilters.jpg

After getting home and trying the Mobil-1 there was still a clearance issue and it was rubbing while i was spinning the filter on. I then tried the FL-757 (Honda Filter) and it fit PERFECT!!!! It didnt touch anything while going on and have plenty of room around the filter. Works Great!!!

I hope this Helps anyone that has the same issue, or is tired of dealing with the BS clearance of the OEM filter

Pic Below is The Honda Filter Installed..... You can see where the FL-820s Rubs on the K-Member

ShortOilFilter.jpg

Attachments

• ShortOilFilter.jpg
    ShortOilFilter.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 202
^^ Dude I don't think hardly anybody has clearance issues on a STOCK setup with an OEM filter LOL... Good you found the part you were looking for, bad because it's a silly fix for most likely a more complicated problem. Also, yer car is dirty lol...looks like you had a leaky filter at some point or another ;)

^^ Dude I don't think hardly anybody has clearance issues on a STOCK setup with an OEM filter LOL... Good you found the part you were looking for, bad because it's a silly fix for most likely a more complicated problem. Also, yer car is dirty lol...looks like you had a leaky filter at some point or another ;)

read the original post, i said the oil filter cracked.

I know i have a bad driver side motor mount

damn man, Id get your motor mounts replaced. If you have an autozone handy, I ordered my energy suspension poly motor mounts from them for 110.. Summit sells them for 150 I think.

And doesnt a smaller filter give you less surface area for filtering? I think it would be alright for a temp solution, but I would look at whats causing the problem and fix it so you can run a larger filter... This is just my logic, I could be completely wrong :shrug:

+1 :scratch:

Something else is definitely wrong. Your filter should not be close to the K. Your motor mount is probably metal-to-metal for it to be that low. Either that or your car is lowered like 6 inches.

My car is REALLY low....Pretty much dragging... i cant get any lower than i am right now. My k-member is a few inches of the ground

lowering springs will not raise/lower the k member in relation to the engine, the engine is mounted to the k-member. i dont recomend driving it like that for too long without replacing the mounts. your putting a ton of extra stress on the other mount(if its not already also broke) and the trans mount

I just went and looked at my GT's under side at the oil filter to see how close it is,and where it should be.......
....it shouldn't even be near the K member at all :eek: .Before you damage something else,take everyones advise,and change that motor mount,and at the sametime,i would suggest you check the other side while your at it.You will cause more damage in the long run,which will cost more money in the end.Damage could be caused in long term,or even short term.....other mount,trans mount,tension on exhaust and mainifolds,heater core hoses moving back and fourth do to the slack in the mount and eventually damage the spouts on the heater core (not a cheap replacement part due to the laybour,ects.....
Motor mounts do wear in time,and need to be replaced eventually. :nice:

Good luck.