Engine Oil Gauge Stays On Low! Car Making Noise, Please Help!!!!

StreetKing GT

Sep 13, 2016
I was driving my wife home when my GT just stalls. I tried to start the car but it wouldn't. I notice my oil gauge was in low, which is weird because I got it serviced a month ago. So I put oil in the car and it started up but now I hear a clicking noise and my car isn't running normal. Please Help!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

NO, I got a lil nervous so I just put more oil in, the hand went back to normal and then drop back down, now it sound like my chain isnt getting oil or something, i have a loud clicking sound now

NO, I got a lil nervous so I just put more oil in, the hand went back to normal and then drop back down, now it sound like my chain isnt getting oil or something, i have a loud clicking sound now
Well mate if your oil pressure did drop very low there is a good chance something was oil starved.

I am no 4.6 expert. That sound could be more than one thing. One of the chaps that frequent this area will see this soon and chime in. If I was a clack noise I would say rod bearing. But a click I am not sure.

Can you post a video of the sound?

If the engine was running without oil pressure for any length of time, especially under load, I'd be more worried about rod bearings than the timing chains. Journal bearings (like the rods and mains) require pressurized oil to survive whereas the timing chain only requires splash lubrication. If the oil pressure goes away due to a low level (e.g.) you're more likely to hurt the bottom end than the timing chains which will stay oily for quite a while even without pressure..

Please post a vid for more help.

Can you post a video of the sound?

If the engine was running without oil pressure for any length of time, especially under load, I'd be more worried about rod bearings than the timing chains. Journal bearings (like the rods and mains) require pressurized oil to survive whereas the timing chain only requires splash lubrication. If the oil pressure goes away due to a low level (e.g.) you're more likely to hurt the bottom end than the timing chains which will stay oily for quite a while even without pressure..

Please post a vid for more help.
I believe your right, ok so the next best thing is to get new Main Bearing and Rod Bearing, alone with a timing chain set right!?

See if you can get a clip or get an opinion from a local shop. You don't want to have to spend more than you have to.

I'll mention that a hurt rod bearing (a "spun bearing", where the bearing shells grab the journal and start to turn within the rod big-end) can spread metal shards throughout the engine, into oil galleys, up into cam bearings and so on. It also wrecks the rod and usually the journal on the crankshaft as well: Fixing this is more than dropping the oil pan and replacing rod bearings. If the engine really has spun a bearing you might entertain the idea of searching for a complete, low-miles long-block to replace the entire engine. Properly fixing a spun bearing will involve tearing the whole engine down, professionally cleaning all the oil galleys, checking all the bearing surfaces etc. Your budget, plans for the car (i.e. do you want to supercharge it in the future or will it live a life as a commuter/daily-driver etc) will all play into the course here.

But before you do anything, get some more opinions with a vid and/or the opinion of a trusted shop that knows modular engines.

Most techs are telling me its a rod bearing that is loose.... I do have plans on supercharging it, ppl in NY seem scared to touch a mustang, NOTHING BUT :leghump:ING HONDA FREAKS OUT. I Just Might Have To Take It To The Dealer And Go That Route Or Should I Get A Low Miles motor?

Last edited: