Engine Oil leak from Trans mount

• Sponsors (?)

Just degreased it and hoses it down
And yes the transmission is whining.
When I did the clutch I also changed the transmission fluid and when I did hardly nothing came out
That would’ve been good If you would’ve included that last bit of info in the original post.

If the trans ran dry for awhile then it’s not going to be happy inside.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. Get some fluid in that transmission ASAP. These T5's do not like to be low on fluid.

So there are two O-rings on the VSS. An external one that seals where the VSS does into the transmission, and an internal one where the speedo cable inserts into the VSS

Here's the external one.

Looks to be a -115 size O-ring listed in the description. I have a couple of these handy and a spare VSS. I can confirm if it's the right size tonight.

You can get a pack of these for $3 shipped on Amazon.

Amazon product ASIN B0051XYSW2View: https://www.amazon.com/115-Buna-N-Ring-Durometer-Round/dp/B0051XYSW2/ref=sr_1_4?crid=O09ZICGL2E31&keywords=-115+o+ring&qid=1648134169&s=industrial&sprefix=115+o+ring%2Cindustrial%2C313&sr=1-4

The Internal one is a -110 O-ring. I did replace this one a while back on my car so I had that size recorded in my records

Amazon product ASIN B074JNTFDGView: https://www.amazon.com/Diameter-110-Oil-Resistant-Buna-Rings/dp/B074JNTFDG/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2781RJEBFQ76P&keywords=-110+O-ring&qid=1648134541&sprefix=110+o-ring%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-4

Another area that it could potentially leak from is the cable itsef, especially cheap aftermarket cables. You'll find the fluid seeping out here
1648134735758.png

Fix for this is to clean up the cable well and apply heat shrink that contains internal glue over the crimp, but not down far enough to interfer with inserting the cable into the VSS. The glue will dry and seal the area from leaking.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Job done
It was leaking from the bearing retainer.
The bolts were hand tight. Must’ve forgotten to tighten them. Changed out the o rings on the vss thanks to Mustang5L5 for the links.
Hopefully it all goes good tomorrow
Thanks again

Reactions: 1 user