Oil Leak/hissing Noise

Anthony Saleiro

Oct 14, 2016
Hey guys,

recently noticed some oil coming down the back of my motor from what looks like the lower intake area. car runs well but it did begin to worry me. Poking around I could hear this hissing noise coming from behind the intake. Not sure where this is coming from. Any input on the noise/oil would help. Car does have a valve cover breather so I'm not sure how that affects the PCV valve.

Here's a video to hopefully give you an idea:
View: https://youtu.be/ZeljZ0LHaic

Could be normal, but I tend to think not. Would also explain oil coming from that area. No other real symptoms with the car I've almost wanted there to be some so I can actually identify a problem. I'm paranoid.

• Sponsors (?)

Look behind the intake, it's kinda hard to do but you should see a vacuum line curving down in the middle behind the upper intake going to the lower intake. There should be a pcv valve at the end and inserted into a hole back there. Sometimes the rubber grommet gets brittle and does not seal. Suprised it idles that good. Oil leak could be the rear of lower intake blown out or just a valve cover gasget bad in the back. I am bett'n on the intake.

There are several vacuum lines back there. Check them all, may have to pull the upper intake off, thats easy, replace the offending parts and haul azz. Although its raely thay easy with the age these cars are gett'n to be.

Yeah gonna tear into it when I stop driving the car for the winter. May just end up going with a new intake and if I'm gonna take all that off new heads as well. Then I can be sure everything seals up good

Ticking sounds at start up usually, and I repeat usually are top end related. A worn or sticky lifter can definitely cause your noise. An old trick I was taught and seemed to work some of the time, was put about 1/2 quart of transmission fluid in with oil. Do this about 500 miles or so before oil change. Sometimes it frees up a sticky lifter. If your noise was heavy, like a knock or clunk each revolution, your noise would more likely be Lower end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
take a long wooden dowel or a stethascope and put one end on the valve cover and the other to your ear to isolate where the noise is coming from. If you have a cold start tick that goes away, then it could be a lifter bleeding down or a sticky lifter. Pour in about 8 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil about 500 miles before your next oil change. It works very well to keep top end parts working . I've been using it for decades.

Reactions: 1 users
Tick'n noises can be scary. Can't say without be'n there, I would'n drive it untill you find out. Yank the intake, valve covers and see if you have a loose rocker arm. Could be easy, could be a bearing or wrist pin, maybe loose bolts on flywheel, again can't say from here.

Forgot about marvel mystery oil, good stuff. Works in oil or fuel. Thanks Mike! Had a honda 1100 that had one cylinder down to 60 pounds compression. Bought it that way. Squirted a few good shots in spark plug hole. Overnight freed up stuck piston rings, jumped up to 125 psi. I was impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk