Oil Pan Drain Plug Drip

I did a search and could not find anything.

I changed my oil in Dec and have not really driven the car since then, about 500 miles or so. The car was parked for 2 weeks when I went out to check on it today and notice that my drain plug had dripped some oil. I would est about 3 drips in 2 weeks (the spot was about the size of a quarter and was not super saturated). I started the car up and let it idle for about 10 min and had perfect oil pressure and no oil spray out, or start to drip.

Any ideas why it leaked a little, I have never had this issue before. Was it because it was sitting so long?

Thanks

And any tips for my next oil change if it drips some more?

• Sponsors (?)

if youre worried about it, the next time you change your oil replace the plug. advanceauto/autozone has them. I had to change mine because the plastic gasket was completely cracked and dripping all over the place.

When I tighten the drain plug, I usually tighten till snug and then an additional 1/4 of a turn. I have dealt with stripped oil plug bolts on other vehicles but my pan is just fine.

Its weird though, I put some cardboard under the car after I notice the drip. After I cleaned the area around the plug, it has not dripped since. I also drove the car about 25 miles today and after I got back and parked the car for awhile I did not see any oil drip on the cardboard.

I think my copper gasket is worn as I noticed that it had a slight grove in it the last time i changed my oil. I plan on buying a new copper gasket for the next time I change my oil. could I also use teflon tape?

Next time you change your oil, go to Napa and get a new oil plug with a rubber o-ring. My GT, along with my granddad's 2 GTs and Mach 1, all started leaking oil at some point or another on the factory plug. New oil plugs with the rubber o rings have fixed all of our 'Stangs.

Next time you change your oil, go to Napa and get a new oil plug with a rubber o-ring. My GT, along with my granddad's 2 GTs and Mach 1, all started leaking oil at some point or another on the factory plug. New oil plugs with the rubber o rings have fixed all of our 'Stangs.

Well, I will put it on the purchases list for my next oil change. At napa or any other parts stores will they have to order a specific one for my mustang or is a generic one that they will have in stock? I will probably go get one next week and just put it in my glove box til my next change.

Thanks

Well, I will put it on the purchases list for my next oil change. At napa or any other parts stores will they have to order a specific one for my mustang or is a generic one that they will have in stock? I will probably go get one next week and just put it in my glove box til my next change.

Thanks

I actually got mine from Carquest, which had it in stock, but I'm not sure if other areas in the country have that chain. I'd certainly think that either Advance, Auto Zone, Napa, or O'Reilly would have it in stock. If not, I know Advance will have ordered parts there by the next morning.