Oil Pressure drops above 3k rpms......

dec322

Feb 11, 2006
Bham AL
..........and keeps dropping as the engine revs higher. I have the stock gauges (i know, i know......I'm ordering gauges in about a month) so I'm wondering if I need to worry about it. The car just started doing this yesterday. Everything is fine until I cross the 3k mark. Any feedbacK?

• Sponsors (?)

65ShelbyClone said:
How many miles on the engine? I've been told that loose bearings can do it. I had a 289 that suffered several broken oil pumps and the oil pressure did the same thing. If anything, it had loose bearings after the mile without oil.

The engine only has about 6k on it. Did the loose bearing make any noise?

No, it ran fine. The only reason I suspected the bearings in my old 289 were loose is because of all the dull silver in the pan after the first pump let go(and I drove it a mile or two before I noticed the lifter noise :rolleyes: ). It worked great, the oil pressure just came down some as rpm went up. I was leary of winding it up high after that, though.

EDIT: It was a Stewart Warner mechanical gage.

My stock guages did the same, I always suspected faulty guages and such, the even pulsed with the 1000w sub I had. I went to Advanced and bought the Sunco guages that come in a 3 pack for $30. Very easy to install, and give you that much more security. Engine is running perfect, nice oil PSI, and runs at 190-200 deg.

My 2 cents.