Oil pressure gauge dropped to zero

Black GT

Sep 8, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
Today while in a drive tru My oil pressure gauge suddenly went to zero and then back to where it usually is about 3/4 up. It did this 4 times. Any ideas? I am hopeing it is a sending unit and not a oil pump. It only stays at zero for a second or two and then goes back to normal. Oil is at the full mark.

• Sponsors (?)

Not long ago I had this exact same thing happen to me. I pulled over and checked my oil level (OK). Also noted that there were no strange engine noises (normally running). So I concluded it's a bad oil pressure sender.

Got a new one. When I took the old one off I found that it was leaking.

The proof was once the oil pressure sender replaced the symptom never occurred again.

Bottom line. Oil pressure senders can and do fail. Plus the part is cheap enough and easy enough to replace just for diagnostic reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
Not long ago I had this exact same thing happen to me. I pulled over and checked my oil level (OK). Also noted that there were no strange engine noises (normally running). So I concluded it's a bad oil pressure sender.

Got a new one. When I took the old one off I found that it was leaking.

The proof was once the oil pressure sender replaced the symptom never occurred again.

Bottom line. Oil pressure senders can and do fail. Plus the part is cheap enough and easy enough to replace just for diagnostic reasons.
Thanks, I am going to get a new one tomorrow. Hopefully it will cure the issue.