Oil Pressure Gauge Reading Low?!?

fawcett

Sep 10, 2003
Cohasset, Ma
Hey guys I've got an issue thats snowballing into several issues and I could use some advice to organize a plan to keep my Stang healthy and running.

My stock oil pressure gauge is reading low and I am afraid to drive the car. The needle is usually around the "N" in Normal. Sometimes it dips below it but usually thats where it sits. It does fluxuate sometimes but its always lower than I'd like it to be.

I have to be honest, I don't know what the deal is with my oil pump. 6-7 years ago, I bought a new FRPP 340bhp 302 and had it installed by a speed shop thats no longer in business.

I know that the crate motor came with an oil pan for an Explorer, so I had them replace it with one for our cars. I don't know if the pump had to be replaced as well.

Is there a difference between an Explorer and Mustang oil pump on a 302?
(Thats my first big question)

Now, if the oil pump needs to be removed and replaced either the engine needs to come out or the k-member needs to be dropped. Right?
(Thats the second big question)

Because if that is the deal I want to remove the old suspension and replace it with a full k-member kit.
The car's suspension is 100% stock and it needs help. So why not call MM and kill two birds with one stone right?

I'd like to keep my car healthy, your replies and advice will help keep it on the road.
Thank you in advance,
Fawcett

• Sponsors (?)

Can't trust the stock gauge. Get an aftermarket gauge for testing at least. I'm having problems with mine too and I'm pretty sure it's the gauge/sending unit. I borrowed a mechanical gauge to test it, just haven't had time to install it yet. Plus it's a pita to get to with the front accessories on.

I can't think of any reason there would be a different oil pump between the Mustang/Explorer. There could be a difference in the pickup tube though.

Changing the oil pump could probably be done with the engine in the car and just lifted up, but it would be much easier with the engine out or k-member dropped.

The gauge doesn't actually indicate oil pressure, it's a fake gauge. It's an on off switch that tells the needle to come up to a "happy position" when the oil pressure is over 6psi. You need to check the oil pressure with a real gauge to tell if it's low. However, you really don't have anything specifically to suggest a problem, as any fluctuation in the "gauge" is a malfunction in the gauge, not the engine. The only thing you should worry about indication wise is if the gauge points to nothing, which indicates that the engine is below 6psi. Or at least I think it's 6psi, I know it's some rediculously low number.

Kurt

The gauge doesn't mean much as long as it's in the normal range could be at the N or the L. I believe the distributor is the trigger for the oil sending unit and gauge. Get a real gauge or like mentioned test it.

Just replace the oil pressure gauge sending unit. It screws into the side of the block at the bottom on the driver's side immediately in front of the oil filter adapter and has a single wire electrical connector going to it.
I replaced mine fairly recently when my stock gauge was only going up to between N and O. Now it sits between M and A all the time (hot, cold, idle, and high rpm) as long as the engine's running so there's the proof that it's an idiot gauge.

Thanks guys, you just talked me off a bridge lol. I'm gonna get a gauge, figure out where it is using the pictures in my Haynes manual (hmmm best modification yet?) get a reading and go from there.
I really hope I don't have to sink any crazy money into the engine but if I do its 351W time :)

Fawcett