oil pressure question...its high, that ok?

• Sponsors (?)

Since the stock gauge is not measuring pressure the reading if fine. The sending unit is a pressure sensitive on/off switch.

That's the first time I have ever heard that.

I run an autometer oil pressure gauge and I see >50psi at idle and close to 70psi at redline. I have a new shortblock with a melling pump though too.

It can very safely be said that the stock gauge has a great bit of hysteresis built into it. Some have said it will zero out at 6 PSIG and otherwise read 'in the middle' but I've not read Ford documentation stating this.

As Paul indicated and Toyman inferred, don't read anything into it until you know actual pressure. You can have too much pressure, but to prevent this our stock bypass is set at about 60 PSI as I recall.

My stock gauge slowly dropped over the years to the O in normal. With my new engine and bigger oil pump it now is around the A. So I would say my guage works pretty good and is more than just an ON/OFF switch. :shrug:

When I started up my new motor the stock guage pegged when it gen. ran in the r-m range on the stocker. I had a autometer oil pres. guage and water temp guage and installed them not too long after.

I see 65-70 idle cold startup and 30-35ish warm at idle with it shooting up to 50-55 at anything off idle and climbes to 65 or so in the upper rpm. This with a melling std. volume pump.

If you want to be sure...get a more accurate guage.

the stock gauge isnt that great. i got a $17 sunpro from autozone, and it looks half way decent. i read 50psi idle and 60 wot. the stock guage stays in the middle to just a tad past that, but dont move w/ 10 psi pressure increase and decrease.

It can very safely be said that the stock gauge has a great bit of hysteresis built into it. Some have said it will zero out at 6 PSIG and otherwise read 'in the middle' but I've not read Ford documentation stating this.

As Paul indicated and Toyman inferred, don't read anything into it until you know actual pressure. You can have too much pressure, but to prevent this our stock bypass is set at about 60 PSI as I recall.

Back at home now and I checked my Ford Service Manual. Ford calls it a Engine Oil Pressure Switch. Normally open. Closed with oil pressure below 6 psi. (I think they've got the "open/closed" bit backwards but it's a switch not a pressure sending unit). BTW the spec oil pressure (HOT 2000 rpm) is 40-60 psi.