Oil Pressure Question

87TNGT

Oct 4, 2007
East Ridge Tn
when i got my 87 GT i noticed the factory oil pressure gauge would go to about middle ways up upon startup and stay there...after hearing how innaccurate the factory gauges are i installed 3 aftermarket gauges in the dash a/c vent...now when i start the car it goes up to 50psi and after warmup it drops to about 40psi at idle...it never goes above 55psi or below 40psi no matter what the RPM's are at....is this normal?...if not what should i look for as far as fixing the problem?....these are mechanical gauges and not electrical BTW

Keith

• Sponsors (?)

well the numbers are definitely high enough. The hot idle pressure is high...but nothing wrong with that. The rule of thumb is that you want 10psi of OP per 1000rpms. So at idle the minimum is 10psi and at redline you want almost 60!

so no problems then?....kinda had me worried as the previous owner said the engine was rebuilt about 3 yrs ago i havent had the valve covers off or anything but i havent noticed any sludge either so maybe its justa good tight engine