Oil Pressure Question

gnx547

Sep 26, 2006
I added oil to the engine and I hooked up an oil pressure gauge. I made a oil pump drive tool for my drill to spin the oil drive shaft. When I spin it clockwise, the oil pressure gauge needle does not move. I spun it for almost a minute and the needle did not move. Should the needle on the gauge move right away once I spin the oil drive shaft? Or does it take mins for the gauge needle to move?

• Sponsors (?)

Opps, I thought it was clockwise..From spinning it forward could I have done damage to the pump?

I'm done with build, rebuilt stock 302 with a crane cam, edlebrock heads and a vortech s trim

On older cars that are non roller cams, and with high lift cams, you can damage the cams as the cams are designed to turn one way. You can actually snap a cam in two. On belt driven cams, you can make the belt jump a tooth. On some cars, you can cause deflection in either the timing chain or belt. You also run the risk of backing out the balancer bolt. Now everyone has turned the crank a hair to get to TDC or align the cam and crank sprocket, but with the cam gear engaged I wouldn't.