Oil Pump gasket?

Hey guys need help:
Just installed a FMS high volume pump. Installed it with factory bolts to the block with no gasket. However I installed one between the pump and canton pick-up tube that came from a ford racing rebuild gasket set. Is this correct? Am I supposed to put one in between?

Thanks?

• Sponsors (?)

I have always installed a gasket between both the block and the pump as well as the pump and the pick-up. However, it is most crucial to get the pick-up gasket in there so that the oil pump does not suck air. The only problem between the block would be oil might seep out from between there.

I was always told there is never a gasket between the block and pump but the pick-up I wasn't sure about.

I have no way to check the former as this is a new build-up straight from the machine shop. It would make sense though to have one on the pick-up but I wanted to make sure everyone else had one too.

Well I'm certainly not doubting you guys. I looked in the Haynes book at only said something about the one gasket. And when I opened my Ford Racing gasket set there was only in there too.........so I guess I'll have to go get one at the local parts store. I didn't get one with my new pump.

Anyone will do?

mel-m68.jpg

Any parts store should be able to get you the gasket....any brand will do.

A gasket must be used in BOTH places. Without a gasket between the pump and the block, the pump is going to squirt oil out from around the seam... this is going to lower your oil pressure quite a bit. Not something I'd want on MY engine. No matter how flat two metal parts are machined, they won't seal out fluid under high pressure without a gasket. This is just commom sense, guys.