One-tire-fire with posi?

bodzilla02

Jun 16, 2009
Maine
I've been pretty quiet on here since I signed up, mainly reading and such. Well, I picked myself up another foxbody (92 gt) this summer, and at the end of the summer I had to get 2 new rear tires... so I decided to finish them off with style! Well, I got a pretty damn good smokeshow, then after saw it was a one tire fire... I was NOT happy. If I'm not mistaken these have posi rear ends correct? I know my 94 gt used to, and I was told the fox gt's do also. Also, I dont know if it's a weight issue but if I step on it out of a corner turning right, itll only spin the right tire... not throw out the rear end like I want. But... if I turn left and step on it, I'll throw her sideways like I want. It's a stock rear end, can someone explain this? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Time to rebuild that bad boy. It's not hard at all. Rebuild kits are about 60 bucks plus new gear oil and a gasket if it doesn't come with the kit. There are great step by step write-ups on how to do it all over SN.

It's not suspension or anything. There is a set of clutches, similar to mulitple versions of your clutch in your tranny inside your diff. They are forced together under load and send power to both rear tires.

When the clutches wear down instead of holding when forced together they just slip. Which creates your 1 tire fire.