openin her up

Cobain03

Aug 27, 2003
Lexington, Ky
as many of you may know,i baught a 65 coupe and want to see what shes made of. i got plenty of private road to do it on so no trouble with athrioties. alli want to knwo is how you all do it in a automatic

• Sponsors (?)

depends on your rear gears and carb. Mine is a 3.00 LSD (yes factory stock) and Mine is the 4V A code version of the 289 with a 4 barrel carb. So how I do it?? I put it on the green dot and give it gas. simple as that. It'll do 80 footers with no powerbrake :)

your right, the green circle, of course this is assuming your tranny is 65-66 year stuff. If it is, it is called a green-dot c-4. You have Park, Reverse, Neutral, a black circle white outlined this uses only gears 2 and 3 for wet weather driving, then you have a green dot which uses all gears 1,2 and 3, then you have L for low which uses 1st gear. I put mine in the green circle which uses all gears.

heres how i shift the ggreen dot c4.

1 put it in low gear.
2 give it hell till you want to shift
3 shift it to green until the car shifts into second gear.
4 bring the handle back down to low to keep it in second gear
5 max out revs in second.
6 shift up for third.

cruise o matic should be a green dot c4. As far as golf's shifting pattern, thats ok if you know you have a strong motor, judging from the picture of your motor, i wouldnt suggest taking to to high of rpm's not knowing what gaskets, etc might fail ya under high load.

Yep...pretty simple, you can either shift manually or leave it in drive and let er rip. If you're trying to burn out you can try just punching the gas from a stop: if you have enuff power they'll spin without a problem, hell once I start giving mine gas I can take my foot almost half off and they'll keep spinning. If your not gettin the desired effects do a brake-assisted BO.
And as the other guys have said...take er easy...be a shame to throw or blow something a week after you bought the car. Car might have some quirks too that you should get used to before goin to hard...mine for example will pull pretty hard right upon hard breaking...something you want to know about before you slam em at good speeds. A rev limiter is always a good idea when you have the oppertunity to buy one :nice: