Opinions on what to do with my daily driver...

I wouldn't feel too bad about your situation Adam. Right now I'm in the same boat as you. I have about 227k tied up in student loans and such to get by. Been in school for 2 years now to be an anesthesiologist and I'm probably gonna have to get about another 40k for my last 2 years in school for all the crap they make you pay for plus cost of living and tuition. And as you, I can't find a job either. Like everyone else is saying, keep the focus and keep putting band-aid's on it until you have an opportunity to get something better or get it fixed all together.

• Sponsors (?)

Dont underestimate yourself. You are a smart guy and in a tough major that most folks couldn't handle. Secondly you did a 1st class job on my car and I have heat and no leaks in record time!! :nice: I am sure you will have the same dedication in your job.

There are also experienced people on this forum and other venues who could prolly help you with advice on your career or connections when your ready... So "focus" on on school and grades, make yourself happy and put that suspension on your car (if it really needs it) and get some turtle wax chapstick stuff like I do on the scratch for now and run a hose on that rear window. Most importantly WATCH your time and concentration. COULD you be spending time maybe getting those books ahead of time and studying now? Keep your head in the game. How long do you have ? Is this your last year? If so - your in the home stretch. Worry about the cars after that except when you need a brain break. You'll thank yourself later. The loans..you'll pay them off.

Graduation is in May. Im going back a week early (next week) to prep to TA Physical Chemistry and to start back up on my research:nice:

and once again thanks for the kind words :nice:

I know no ebay links... but im not selling anything... since im going to fix the focus... i think im going to order:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280446249820

and
I have a popping/ clicking and harsh ride now... 139k stock suspension so

either:
M-3000-ZX3 or
M-3000-ZX3A

Tousley Ford Parts Depot

Like i said... dont want to "Mod" the car... but the price on the suspension packages from ford racing is a deal.. Considering for $280ish you get shock struts springs and mounts pre assembled... the cheaper one you get the sway bar... but no mounts etc...

roll til the wheels fall off.
you can handle the problems listed.
for the hatch,i'd strip out the interior and spray the outside down,should be able to find it that way.
and the bodyline,just dont walk on that side:D

Adam:

You're making good decisions, and your decision to put yourself through school is admirable, and in time it will be worth a lot more than the interest payments to you. I know--I've put myself through undergrad and grad school, and my wife through undergrad. My son is a senior in college, and his dad's a real butthead--I made him pay his own way. He's fortunate in that he has been able to work in his field while going to school (journalism), so he has kept his debt down. He won't admit it, but taking care of himself, rather than depending on his folks for everything, is a source of confidence and pride to him (like it was for me).

What kind of work are you looking for out of school? $35k isn't a huge salary--especially for a hard-science degree like that. Cast your net wide for jobs. If you're willing to go where the work is, there's jobs to be had. Yes, unemployment is high, but people are getting hired EVERY DAY. With the work ethic you've described, you will too.

Look for employers that offer assistance with student loans. They're out there.

Don't let the rest stress you. I spent waaaayyy too many years living from paycheck to just short of the next paycheck. You wouldn't believe some of the schemes my wife and I had to float checks, and otherwise get through the last couple of days with no money. When it didn't look like it was possible, God always provided for us. Even when I had no reason to expect him to.

wow actully found a pic with it done
img0260e.jpg

Picked up ebc rotors on ebay for $25.99 + shipping... :jaw:

Thats not bad for decent rotors.... drilled and slotted... autozone wanted $55 each... for normal rotors :shrug:

Should i get matching ebc pads for $40.... or wagner thermoquiets for $35

Got ebc pads too $39

Well... still not sure if i want to keep the car... i talked to a body shop... $300 to fix the side that was keyed... $300 to fix the body line apparently he noticed that the filler was cracking under the paint on that side..

So it would be $600 to fix the body issues...

$300 for suspension...

$75 for ebc rotors and pads

and im still stuck with a leaky hatch...:notnice:

Then i have $1000 in to a car with a salvage title... when i could just pick another focus for about $3000... but its probably likely it would have problems as well... BLAH... mechanical problems i can handle... leaks and body work im too lazy to deal with...

Good news is...
CEL is off... car is starting and running... put 50+ miles on it no stalling :)

leave the freaking body and suspension alone! it's a daily BEATER for god's sake!

those are WANTS, not NEEDS! remember your student loan balance! don't blow your money on stuff you don't NEED!

the only other thing i would consider would be the hatch, but only if the leak would be bad for the car in a rust or mildew sense.

i make $144K per year and i have not gotten my mustang's transmission looked at for 5 months because i have other needs right now.

there is a big difference between what you want and what you need

that is my humble opinion. sorry, i get passionate about this stuff sometimes

leave the freaking body and suspension alone! it's a daily BEATER for god's sake!

those are WANTS, not NEEDS! remember your student loan balance! don't blow your money on stuff you don't NEED!

the only other thing i would consider would be the hatch, but only if the leak would be bad for the car in a rust or mildew sense.

i make $144K per year and i have not gotten my mustang's transmission looked at for 5 months because i have other needs right now.

The shocks and struts are blown and its causing my car to eat tires... they get expensive fast... The M-3000-ZX3A Kit is just the cheapest way to solve the problem it comes with the SVT shocks and struts front and rear the front are assembled with mounts and all the kit goes for from tousley ford for $284

I just thought its cheaper then getting a really badly set of cupped tires again...

The leak is really bad... worse in the summer when it leaks and then the car gets hot inside... it smells like wet dog... i thought i had it tracked down and siliconed it... however its back... maybe the hot cold hot cold broke up the silicone

I agree with the other old dude.:D

Seriously, he's right. Do what you need to to keep it running and safe. It's a $1000 beater--why try to polish a turd?

And go after the leak with some hardware store weatherstripping, shoe goo, or something else, but only enough to make it function properly. And send the $600 to the bank, either to start paying down the loan, or to save it for when your payments begin.

Furthermore--you've got a cool car. That's why you call this one your DD. It's a POS that you drive so you can wrench on your good car, and don't have to drive it in crappy conditions. If you really gotta have a nice ride every day, you ought to consider selling your stang and buying a later model 6 cyl that you can use as a DD, that'll look good, but won't be a maintenance problem and a drain on your very limited funds. If it's a pride thing, go buy a set of 2" vinyl letters and put MY OTHER CAR IS A 95 MUSTANG GT VERT on the back window of your Focus.

I agree with the other old dude.:D

Seriously, he's right. Do what you need to to keep it running and safe. It's a $1000 beater--why try to polish a turd?

And go after the leak with some hardware store weatherstripping, shoe goo, or something else, but only enough to make it function properly. And send the $600 to the bank, either to start paying down the loan, or to save it for when your payments begin.

Furthermore--you've got a cool car. That's why you call this one your DD. It's a POS that you drive so you can wrench on your good car, and don't have to drive it in crappy conditions. If you really gotta have a nice ride every day, you ought to consider selling your stang and buying a later model 6 cyl that you can use as a DD, that'll look good, but won't be a maintenance problem and a drain on your very limited funds. If it's a pride thing, go buy a set of 2" vinyl letters and put MY OTHER CAR IS A 95 MUSTANG GT VERT on the back window of your Focus.

Its a $2500 car lol.. Which is a big deal to me... i like to keep my things nice.. but some douche keyed it in the school lot... The most money i spent on my car was my stang for $3900... but i have put 40k miles on it since i bought it so it has been good to me... my mustang isnt running and i still need to buy parts for it... however i think its more important to have a functional car to drive around now.

ah, well if it is eating tires, then that starts to make it more of a need. is $300 really the most economical fix for it?

Needs front and rear shocks and mounts and possibly an inner tie rod... its got some clicking and popping ever once in awhile... Someone has a used set of svt parts with 80k on them for $150 shipped which is cheaper... but thats alot of mileage...

Auto zone wants 130 a side for the fronts pre assembled.
AutoZone.com | | Shock/Strut - Front | READYMOUNT ASSEMBLY

And $61 each side for just the struts...
$25 each for the rears
Mounts are $50 each

So thats $280

When could just pay for shipping and get all the hardware and everything pre assembled and have OEM parts...:shrug:

I think thats the best deal

I just bought tires for it $230 shipped for 4 kumo Solus KH16 and got hit hard on mount and balance for $78... Either way thats still not bad for 4 new tires... but i found a used tire guy that does a $30 mount and balance and we just picked up 2 tires with 90% tread for my g/fs car for $80 mounted and balanced....

I have 2 sets of rims for my car.. i picked up a set for $120 with tires to get me by when i bent a rim... and i had bronze wheel paint at the garage so i was just going to see how it looks.

I guess if the body work really bothers me i can do it myself... just wait till spring comes around.