Ordered A "k" Car

imp

Mustang Master
Jul 13, 2017
Hi! New here. Just registered. Old fart around cars for over 60 years. Can set up a 9-inch blindfolded (almost).

Ordered my K car August, 1964, took 5 weeks to get it. High Performance package was hang-up, the salesman said. Got lots of nice goodies for about $440 extra.......My old man almost forbid the option, but I was 22, so.....

Bought at Murphy Motors, Cicero, Illinois. Salesman's name was Lou Pechan. Finally, waited and waited, got the beautiful Vintage Burgundy beast, S/N 5F07K284486.

More, if interested! imp

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome. Do you still have the car?
We love pictures so if you have any then please post them.
After 53 years, sorry, no. Back then, it was just another car to me, though I loved it, but pictures were just not much a part of the young man's interests. A few pictures remain, not many details, but the history of the car is pretty interesting. I present what I have:

img10910.jpg

The stable in about 1970. The old back yard of the house where I was born and raised, purchased from my retiring Folks. The '63 Falcon hides quietly a 430 Lincoln under stock hood, Borg-Warner T-10 transmission, 9-inch rear. THAT sort of madness I took pictures of. Would you like to see underhood?

View from within the garage, the T-Bird was my wife's driver. The Mustang crossed these United States about 20 times, wonderful car to drive.
img21810.jpg

But, I wanted REAL acceleration, set up and installed a brand-new set of 4.56s, easily bought cheap from Ford; that ratio was used in Vans and some Taxicabs! I knew cross-country travel with such gearing would be goofy, so I got busy mating the Top-Loader 4-speed to a Borg-Warner H.D. Overdrive unit, so:

img21410.jpg

Other side of it:
img21510.jpg

Such were a few of my early stirrings. imp

Such were a few of my early stirrings. Following were later mis-deeds. Below, my Top-Loader 4-Speed mated to an IH-Scout Transfer Case, using an adaptor I designed and made. Even had a Warn Overdrive hung on it. That gave 3 shifter levers for the T-case.

img12410.jpg

Below, the K-car in it's final form, about 1977, taken in Las Vegas just before I took a job in Colorado. The Mustang was sold in Vegas. I was nuts back then, obviously. imp

car_pr11.jpg

How did you make the adapters?
What was that thing like to drive after the 4wheel drive upgrade?
Would it do burnouts? Lol
I made the adaptors way before I had the best machine to work metal parts. I had a Sears 12" metal lathe from age 14. The really big first challenge was to turn a 12" diam. steel disc 1/2" thick, which I bolted to the front torus cover plate of a 4-speed Hydramatic from a 1950 Lincoln. I put that engine, big flathead V-8 in a '52 Ford Sedan, determined to use a Borg-Warner HD 3-spd. with Overdrive. The clutch pressure plate bolted up to the big disc I had made. I HAND-SAWED that disc, roughed out, using a hacksaw, which took the better part of a day. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately for me, I took no pictures; I'd be labeled "NUTS" today.

"What was that thing like to drive after the 4wheel drive upgrade?"
It rode OK, steered OK, was fairly solid-feeling, but I never got the chance to do much driving with it. I completed it during the pressures of finishing college at UNLV, and then towed it to my new location in Colorado. First guy looking to buy it, did. Shortly after, I moved to IN, and never learned what transpired with the Mustang, (or my girlfriend with her two nasty little boys.). imp