Ordering Stroker Kit, Couple a questions.

01STG2ROUSH

Nov 3, 2005
I am getting ready to order a stroker kit for my car. I am currently making 375 RWHP with a mildly ported Saleen supercharger, Chicane Ripp kit, 75mm Accufab T.B, 42lb injectors, and 90mm Lightning MAF. After noticing a ringland coming apart i have decided to build my bottom end up with a stroker kit. I am almost certain I will go with the VT kit unless anyone knows something I should know. The last time I had my car Dynoed and tuned I was told that timing was no longer helping and airflow was my next problem to attack. I guess my bottom end felt different. ;)

My questions are as follows,

1. How far can I bore an iron 4.6 before I have to worry about the wall
thickness? I would like every little bit to unshroud the valves...

2. What compression ratio do you guys recommend? I generally run a 50/50mix of 100 octane and 91 octane for the 2nd position on my tune and am currently running 12psi though a Kenne Belle at 16psi or so is in the works when money allows.

3. Is there a particular brand of rods, crank, rings etc that you guys prefer?

4. I have yet to pull the motor out of the car, how many bolts are in my crank for the flywheel? is it 6 or 8? It's an 01 roush.

5. Last but not least, how do you guys feel about other items such as a high volume pump, main support, and hardware. Are ARP studs required for the mains as well as the rods?

I just want to make sure I have the best info so I can order the right stuff. I would like to know that my bottom end will be ready for some weekend abuse and future mods when money allows. Thanks in advance guys, I know alot of you on here seem to really know about these kits so I hope to hear from ya.

• Sponsors (?)

The most anyone will go on an iron block is .030" over
For a pd blower I would say 9.0 - 9.2 compresssion
Manley or Eagle rods with ARP 2000 rod bolts
Crank can be kellogg or Ford Racing Cobra
Should be six bolts on the bellhousing
Some people recommend billet oil pump gears and a high volume cobra oil pump
if you plan on running a lot of boost then head studs are required

What does the stroker kits bring the cid too?? I take it the Big Bore kits are the ones that really unshroud the valves??

Do the stroker kits really help power?

I beleive it is a 306cid. I have heard that big bore is the way to go but is way more costly than a stroker kit. I basically just want to build a bullet proof bottom end for F/I and figure for the money why not have the extra cubes. As for unshrouding the valves I was considering talking to my machinist about possibly clearancing the top of the cylinder around the valves. Has anyone done this before on these motors? -Trent

What does the stroker kits bring the cid too?? I take it the Big Bore kits are the ones that really unshroud the valves??

Do the stroker kits really help power?
The Bigbore kits either 304 or 324 will unshroud the valves you will gain torque and hp. The stroker will offer some gains, but the BB will be the better route depending on your setup. There are some Bigbore kits putting out 450 rwhp NA with the right setup(4v)

my cousin has Mod Max complete forged stroker and for me is the best don't get nothing eagle i heard too many bad things that they broke does not support what it sais