Electrical Origin Of Rapid Clicking Grom Eec Area.. Eec Power Relay?

DuderMcMerican

Mar 7, 2016
Woodbridge, VA
Howdy All,

Haven't found much on the online re an intermittent issue I have been having.. Sometimes there's a rapid constant clicking coming from the area of the EEC. It has happened with key on engine off, with KOER, and after turning over the engine when I can't get it to start (in all cases, it continues until I actually remove the key from ignition). It hasn't happened for a little while, but I've been chasing other electrical issues (codes 22, 41... workin through the jrichker checklists), and I've been wondering if maybe that intermittent rapid clicking symptom could be related.

What could make that sound in the area of the EEC? EEC power relay? I tried to pull the relay a while back to check it out/test, but was unsuccessful in accessing it (was trying to avoid tearing apart the dash). Can anyone confirm if the relay could be the origin of the clicking or what else in EEC area could make that noise?

Also, is there a way to test the EEC relay without actually pulling it from its impossibly cramped home? Before, I wasn't even able to gain access the wires that terminate at the relay..

I should note that the noise is definitely coming from the EEC area. It's not coming from the airbag module thing in the center of the dash.

Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

If the voltage on the red fuel injector wires, or the red/green wire on the ignition coil or red wire on the coolant level sensor fluctuates when the ignition switch is in the Run position, then the ECC relay is opening and closing repeatedly. A test light might be better for checking this than a voltmeter.

Reactions: 1 users