overdrive light please help

jlds91389

Feb 1, 2009
Orange Tx
I was drivin home tonight and the overdrive light just started flashing.the car has 99k miles on it and i dont think the fluid has every been changed. the fluid is like a yellowish color and smells burnt. any thoughts? could this just been i need to change the fluid or is something bad about to happen. o ya the trans shifts fine and dosnt slip.

• Sponsors (?)

jlds91389:

I think that you answered you own question, lol. Change the fluid and filter ASAP. It is not a big job but it is a little messy.

The light may be on because of low fluid (my guess) or a mechanical/electrical issue. If you have a handheld tuner, you can read the code(s). Otherwise, go to AutoZone and ask them to tell you what the code is (they do this for fee).

ATF should be changed more often than the manual recommends, just like we change oil sooner than recommended.

HTH,

Chris

jlds91389:

The 4R70W is a robust transmission but, like any mechanical system, it does require periodic maintenance. A tranny cooler is a big help (on any brand of auto transmission) but the stock transmission can last a long time (>200,000 miles) -- look at taxis in NYC, for example. Clean fluid and a new filter on a regular basis are critical (imo).

I would suggest a fluid and filter change. Your description of the fluid indicates a change is needed (and quick). New "MERCON V" ATF is bright red and clear and has a peculiar aroma to it. The yellow stuff might be a different brand but the burnt smell is a bad sign and the fluid has to be changed if you want your trans to last.

Chris

^^thats what i was thinking my dodge did the same thing and the fluid was brown and i changed the fluid and filter in it and all was good.... until the transfer case locked up. i have one quart of valvoline mercron v fluid. its that brand of fluid ok to use or do i need a certain kind/ brand?

You should change the fluid every 20k milkes. If youve done 100k without changing it, then definitely do that immediately and hope thats all that is wrong.

should i get any performance back it feels kind of sluggish off the line last weekend at the track i ran a 13.9 and 14.0s and this week end i ran 14.6. Would that have anything to do with it other than last week is was 39 and this week it was in the 70s lol

You should change the fluid every 20k milkes. If youve done 100k without changing it, then definitely do that immediately and hope thats all that is wrong.

Thats a bit to often but sure cant hurt, I would say about every 50k.
I was forced to change mine at 30k cause I hit a rock in the road and
punched a hole in the pan.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the blinking o/d light means an overheating condition. Does the light only come on once you have been driving for a while?

did you just drain it or flush the system. If you just drained it than about half the flud in the Tq converter is still bad which just contamined the good stuff you put in. It should have taken around 13 quarts for a complete change out.

jlds91389:

Find the 'how-to' articles by A-Train at TCCoA.com/Tech Articles/Transmissions. He explains how to pump out the ATF. Disconnect one of the fluid lines to the radiator cooler and start the engine. The fluid will pump out nicely. You have to be CAREFUL when using this method because you do not want the pump to run dry (VERY bad). As soon as the fluid flow starts to drop off, stop the engine immediately.

Sounds like you made some progress. Mercon V is not 'that' expensive and the total price for 13 quarts will seem like nothing compared to the cost of a new transmission.

GL and please post back with an update.

Chris