Overdrive Pulley... Belt Tensioner.. Help?

AnthonyR23

Sep 8, 2006
Ontario
Hi.. I installed a overdrive pulley and since that my belt is squeeking.. aside from having to replace the belt itself.. on the tensioner is there a way to tighten the belt.. To take the belt off I turn the bolt at the front of the tensioner... does the bolt at the back do something.. any ideas???

• Sponsors (?)

My tensioner is at the top right beside the alternator... I'm not sure what you mean exactly about the tensioner indicator... my dad may be able to help me with this one when he gets home. When I put the new pulley on I just turned the bolt at the front... which didn't actually loosen it.. it just took the tension off temporarily so that I could get the belt off and the alt. off.. It only squeeks sometimes.. but I know it is because it could use to be a little tighter..

An overdrive alternator pulley will be a smaller diameter than what you had on there. If your belt was already close to the end of the range (see picture in above post), than putting the smaller pulley on has loosened the belt enough that the tensioner isn't making up enough of the new slack in the belt. You may need to purchase a new belt that is slightly shorter.