Overdrive VS. Drive

• Sponsors (?)

whats the difference? is one more fuel effecent or shift faster?

overdrive is a lower gear ratio hence overdrive..puts it at a lower rom so yes more fuel effecent. no shifting in D ve OD are no different just it will shift into OD at low speeds. with my car drive vs OD at 35mph is 1,700RPM's in drive or 1,300 RPM's...

if you want it to shift faster look into a shift kit. everyonce in a while i do the 1-d-1 but if you like your aod i wouldnt do that.

its all new to us at some point.

and the expert has spoken

overdrive is a cruising gear, kind of like 5th on a manual
drive is better for stop and go city driving. by keeping the car from shifting and downshifting in traffic you are easier on your transmission and will actually save gas by staying in your powerband rather than causing your engine to lug

so i dont go any faster with either?

im still confused...

overdrive is better fuel.. thats all? theres gotta be a draw back otherwise why would we have drive?

over drive is really just an extra gear, brings the engine rpm's down otherwise saving fuel...

think of it this way...with a 5 speed, when you shift from 1st to 2nd the rpm's drop same thing when a auto shifts from 2st to second....if you want to save fuel while driving a 5 speed at 65 what would most do? shift to 5th? because thats a lower gear in turn bringing the rpm's down....no say your going up a hill. you down shift to the lowest gear that is needed to get up that hill, with an auto keep in DRIVE or just put it into 1.

Yeah, pretty much. D just limits your gears to 1-2-3, OD gets you through 1-2-3-4 gears. The fourth gear is best for cruising to save you gas mileage. If you want to shift from 4th to 3rd w/o flooring it, just put it in D

wow....

so overdrive is the fastest gear? or 3rd in drive?

im sorry its just not my day.

in drive your trans will never up shift into over drive. in drive is sort of like a 1:1 ration. in overdrive is more like a .75:1 ratio..over drive better mpg, drive.only will 1st 2nd 3rd will never go into the 4th (overdrive) unless in overdrive.

those arnt the ration's for mustangs im not sure what they are...just an example

so i dont go any faster with either?

im still confused...

overdrive is better fuel.. thats all? theres gotta be a draw back otherwise why would we have drive?

Overdrive is just another gear. Any gear with a ratio higher than 1:1 is called an overdrive gear. It can be manual or automatics that have these. The 6spd Cobra has two Overdrives.

Most modern automatics since the 80's have 1 overdrive. It's just a gear ratio such as 63:1 in which each 0.63 revolutions of the engine turns the driveshaft 1 time.

If you turn OD off and just use drive, you limit yourself to 1:1 which is equal RPM between engine and driveshaft.

With gearing, lower RPM allows more torque, so the car is more responsive in lower gears. Higher gearing lowers torque, but also lowers engine RPM and load allowing you to conserve fuel.

OD is usually considered a cruising gear. In otherwords you would neveer floor it in OD. You get up to highway speed and pop it into OD and just cruise. Fuel economy gear basically.

You'll see a lot of cars and trucks have an OD off button or position that locks out that final high gear. You do this for towing or for hills as it puts a huge load on the engine. Only use it for flat normal highway cruising

you mean put it in overdrive?

and overdirve is only 4th? it doesent sshift from 1,2,3,4?

No, if you want to shift from 4th to 3rd, then shift from OD to D.
OD gives you all 4 gears while D gives you 3.

Picture it like this. I have to drive around in D because my 4th gear is basically destroyed, so it keeps my transmission from shifting into 4th. Its basically like having a c4

you mean put it in overdrive?:shrug:

and overdirve is only 4th? it doesent sshift from 1,2,3,4?

no he means drive do this next time your driving...put you car in overdrive. get up to about 45 mph keep your foot on the gas where you had it move the gear slector from OD to D the trans will shift down out of over drive to 3rd which will bring your rpm's up.