Overheating now that I am in Arizona

Moved from Florida to Arizona, and the car has gotten as hot as 240*. That was in traffic with the AC on, but its definately way too hot.

I have a summit aluminum radiator (its mounted with all the stock blockoffs, stock fan and modified shroud to fit the radiator). 70% water 25% water 5% water wetter. Stock waterpump and mods in sig. Fans are set to start at 182 low, 202 high with a 4 degree hysteresis on each. I've varied the fan speeds in the ECU, but nothing really helped.

I am missing the bottom air-dam, but I've bought one to replace it. Thing is, the car gets at its worst sitting still. I'll install the dam tonight to see if it makes a difference, but I don't think I'll see too much.

What can I do? I'm thinking of getting a new stock fan and the mishimoto radiator just to get back to a stock-fitting setup, but I honestly think the front half of the cooling setup has a good cooling capacity, but I'm just not seeing it at the gauges.

Any ideas? Im building a 410W to replace my 302, and I'm worried that if I have cooling problems now, that 410W would never survive in my car.

• Sponsors (?)

FWIW, you should be doing better. I have a similar set-up down in Tucson (108*F today). What kind of temps do you see on average (it looked like 240 was a high point)?
Once you get the air dam installed, we might infer a little more about heat rejection capabilities (I am one of the few whom sees the two-fold advantage of the air dam and think it's really important).

I can tell ya that I outrun the stock E-fan once ambient temps reach about 105*F.

How well is the fan sealed to the coil? Weatherstripping works well to fill the gap.

Otherwise, it sounds like you have a real nice handle on the dynamics. Just in case it's of any help with little tips, here's a quick little synopsis on cooling systems.

Good luck.

Moved from Florida to Arizona, and the car has gotten as hot as 240*. That was in traffic with the AC on, but its definately way too hot.

I have a summit aluminum radiator (its mounted with all the stock blockoffs, stock fan and modified shroud to fit the radiator). 70% water 25% water 5% water wetter. Stock waterpump and mods in sig. Fans are set to start at 182 low, 202 high with a 4 degree hysteresis on each. I've varied the fan speeds in the ECU, but nothing really helped.

I am missing the bottom air-dam, but I've bought one to replace it. Thing is, the car gets at its worst sitting still. I'll install the dam tonight to see if it makes a difference, but I don't think I'll see too much.

What can I do? I'm thinking of getting a new stock fan and the mishimoto radiator just to get back to a stock-fitting setup, but I honestly think the front half of the cooling setup has a good cooling capacity, but I'm just not seeing it at the gauges.

Any ideas? Im building a 410W to replace my 302, and I'm worried that if I have cooling problems now, that 410W would never survive in my car.

Do you have the stock gauges or aftermarket gauges. 240 is high do you smell antifreeze or hear it bubbling out from the reservoir when it reaches this temp .I have the summit radiator and I live in the high desert in california and my temp doesnt go over 195 with the ac on since I installed the radiator.I have my fans set to turn on at 197 degrees.Also check your thermostat it sounds like it might be sticking.

Do you have the stock gauges or aftermarket gauges. 240 is high do you smell antifreeze or hear it bubbling out from the reservoir when it reaches this temp .I have the summit radiator and I live in the high desert in california and my temp doesnt go over 195 with the ac on since I installed the radiator.I have my fans set to turn on at 197 degrees.Also check your thermostat it sounds like it might be sticking.

Both stock and autometer, stock hits just below the red H line, and the autometer is where I am getting my number. I don't hear bubbling or smell antifreeze

Hissin, I checked your links, some good info there, but I'm still at a loss. Couldn't get the air dam mounted, couldn't access the mounting holes without removing the radiator. I will try again when I can put the car on jackstands.

looks like you have too much water in it. like JT says make sure the fan shroud is against the radiator, the fan sucks air so any leaks from the side means less through the rad, also make sure there is nothing in front of the condensor blocking air from getting in.

I see a lot of mixed beliefs about the air dam in the front. The theory is definitely solid. But I busted mine off coming out of a steep driveway about 7 years ago and never had any overheating problems. That is, problems that weren't related to a busted hose or frayed ECT harness wiring. This is despite the ridiculous heat here and in Phoenix. I wouldn't deny it makes a difference, but I'm not a believer in the idea of it's absence causing actual overheating.

But if you want to replace that piece, the Arizona Automotive Recyclers Association can get it for you cheap and local. They're like the junkyard mafia http://www.aara.com/

This thread could of just solved a little overheating problem....My fan is just hanging on with a screw. There is ALOT of room to suck air thru the sides. I had no idea that it sucked air. I always thought that it was blowing the air to the engine to cool it down somehow