Overheating V6 1997 Mustang

VLAZ

Jun 28, 2017
So I have a weird problem and hopefully you guys can help me out because I am out of ideas so my Mustang has been getting warmer than normal to the point of overheating especially because I'm in Arizona. So my fan is not coming on unless my AC is on or I unplugged the temperature sender by the thermostat even then it still runs warm and Maxs out the gauge I recently replaced the temp sender but it throws a code p1117 causes AC to not work and runs like crap but doesnt overheat. Please Help

• Sponsors (?)

In my experience when a car with an otherwise cooling system in good repair slowly over heats it's usually because the radiator is clogged. So how about the rest of the cooling system? Is it in good repair?

For an older V6 that starts having cooling problems one should keep in the back of your mind "bad head gasket".

But for the P1117 bad wiring or a weak/dirty electrical connection to the ETC should be front and center.

Finally the V6 is bad about trapping air inside the motor. The air will cause the ECT to read low. Did you follow the V6 coolant re-filling procedures EXACTLY?

V6 coolant refilling procedure:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...stang-irregular-rpms-showing-hot.html#2604913

>>>From the Ford service manual.
P1117 - Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Intermittent

Indicates ECT circuit became intermittently open or shorted while engine was running. Note on some vehicles that are not equipped with an ECT sensor, CHT can be used and can set this DTC.

• Damaged harness
  • Damaged sensor
  • Damaged PCM
  • Damaged harness connector
  • Low engine coolant
Monitor ECT or CHT on scan tool, look for sudden changes in reading when harness is wiggled or sensor is tapped