painting a new fiberglass hood?

• Sponsors (?)

assuming it has jelcoat, sand it with 400 grit to 600 grit sandpaper. Do not sand through-you just need to create scratches for adhesion. Once it's dull, it's good enough to paint.

+1 just give it a quick sand with some 400 grit, u can do it wet or dry, and spray it. i would do some additional prepping when it comes time to paint it up nicely to match the car, but for just a flat black look that will get u by.

i got a question is it stright fiberglass with just resin on it. or has it been painted with some gel-coat? actully either way just sand it down with a good grit sand paper , but do not go all the way though to the fiberglass and make you use a primer or plenty of coats.

I painted mine (2 weeks before it was totalled). :mad:
It came out well, only a couple minor imperfections that only I could notice. Mine was a color change though, so there was a lot of prep work as the previous owner had thick stripes on it with even thicker pin striping. I spent about 4 weeks, a couple hours each night, doing the prep work. (Painting is really 90% prep)
I used my lil 15 gallon compressor and a HVLP gun. I did all the primer will rattle cans, but laid down the color and clear with the gun.
I built an 10X10X8 spray booth with PVC, plastic drop cloth, duct tape (of course!) and a couple of (HVAC) air filters - totalled about $40 bucks. I used a couple fans I have in the garage, one on each end of the spray booth, one pushing air in (thru the filter) and the other fan at the other end pulling air out thru the air filter. It worked very well.
Parkpics1Small.jpg

I painted mine (2 weeks before it was totalled). :mad:
It came out well, only a couple minor imperfections that only I could notice. Mine was a color change though, so there was a lot of prep work as the previous owner had thick stripes on it with even thicker pin striping. I spent about 4 weeks, a couple hours each night, doing the prep work. (Painting is really 90% prep)
I used my lil 15 gallon compressor and a HVLP gun. I did all the primer will rattle cans, but laid down the color and clear with the gun.
I built an 10X10X8 spray booth with PVC, plastic drop cloth, duct tape (of course!) and a couple of (HVAC) air filters - totalled about $40 bucks. I used a couple fans I have in the garage, one on each end of the spray booth, one pushing air in (thru the filter) and the other fan at the other end pulling air out thru the air filter. It worked very well.
Parkpics1Small.jpg

wow that looks good, i can paint out of a rattle can good, i might have to try , if it looks like s**t, i just sand it off :shrug:

so you just not going to have it painted or just doing a flat black. if you want to paint it urself walmart and harbor fright have some cheaper spray guns for sale right now.

painting with a gun is not that hard just got to make sure your even and not to close and you go pass the piece to get a even coat.

awesome, i think thats a great deal considering hes doing prep and every thing. i think macco charges like 200$ just to sand down you car and put some paint on.

i got a question though is stang paint 1 stage or 2 stage paint?

wow that looks good, i can paint out of a rattle can good, i might have to try , if it looks like s**t, i just sand it off :shrug:
Yep, you can always repaint!
Priming with rattle cans is fine, but I think you'd have a problem when you try to do color. It's quite a bit of paint that you'll need to cover the hood well. I think you'll have a hard time blending each row together.

i just bought a ABC cobra R hood :banana: i cant afford to get it painted right now after spending the money on the hood, so i was just going to paint it semi-flat black for now, but im not sure on how to prep fiberglass, :SNSign:

I had a good paint gun (and DeVilbiss had a sale going on at Eastwood,com)

I sanded mine lightly, primed, shot the base (2 coats) , and clear (3 coats). The hardest part for me was the clear, as my workspace was dimly lit. I wet-sanded and buffed the clear the next week (scary !) and it turned out fine.

The "scary" part is when you wet-sand the clear, and it looks dull. But, when you buff it out with a quality compound (I use Finesse it II by 3M), you will achieve a great shine.

IIRC, all the materials came in under $ 100, but costs have risen since then (2004).

I can do a decent job with a shaker can, but using the gun is a little bit easier to lay down a good coat.

Good luck to you.:nice:

I modified my hood last month...
Somehow those Redline Tuning hood struts were undamaged - gotta give props to those folks and their product. I sold those and now have the bling-bling stainless ones on my new ride, a Mach 1.
Wreck1.jpg

MachMotordressedup.jpg

OoOoO... shiny. are you telling me those struts were perfectly okay? wow thats amazing! WHere you okay.

98cobra281 i heard you were gettin you hood today. is that from the the shop?