Passing CA smog with tune

Danny2v

Jun 24, 2019
California
I have a 02 gt with bolt ons and tune. Every bolt on is legal and carb legal other then my bama tune. I was wondering if a week prior to my smog check, I upload the stock tune, drive it for a few 100 miles to set the monitors, will I pass smog? Or does the smog system show previous tunes causing me to fail? Just for clarity, I will remove the tune awhile before the smog check to make sure the monitors are complete

• Sponsors (?)

As long as every bolt on is CARB approved and you have documentation that won't pose a problem. You're suppose to have the EO sticker under the hood. However, the bama tune will and it won't pass inspection. Also, if you don't have the appropriate exhaust for the car, it won't pass. This includes an X or Y pipe.

If you have everything CARB legal except the tune, put the stock tune in and drive for a few days at combination driving street and highway for sensors to stabilize. This is the same as if you cleared codes or disconnected your battery.

As long as every bolt on is CARB approved and you have documentation that won't pose a problem. You're suppose to have the EO sticker under the hood. However, the bama tune will and it won't pass inspection. Also, if you don't have the appropriate exhaust for the car, it won't pass. This includes an X or Y pipe.

If you have everything CARB legal except the tune, put the stock tune in and drive for a few days at combination driving street and highway for sensors to stabilize. This is the same as if you cleared codes or disconnected your battery.
I do have a x pipe but it is a cut and weld x pipe so I still have my original cats same location as factory... shouldn't be a issue right?

Very true, but you can change every 2 years on some things. The tune is the worst part because OBDII scanning from 2000 on has everything in the computer, no sniffing or even viewing if it is clean.

Very true, but you can change every 2 years on some things. The tune is the worst part because OBDII scanning from 2000 on has everything in the computer, no sniffing or even viewing if it is clean.
The good news is none of my mods rely on the tune to run properly, meaning I can flash the factory tune with all the kids and have 0 problems. Couple days of driving to set everything, and should pass with flying colors