PC peep's - MS office software purchasing

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Howdy All,

We have a laptop from Dell with whatever flavor of Office-software that comes with it (it is an XP machine but does not have MS Office software). When trying to transfer things [that were created and saved on it] to the other computer (both are XP, but the second puter has real MS Office stuff), it does not want to open the files. Kind of a pain. Ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Absent ideas on what I am doing wrong, I figured that with all the computer savvy folks in here, y'all might have recommendations on where to get MS Office software (I know virtually nothing about these things). All that is really needed is basics like Word, Excel, Power Point - I think that is it. What is a good price for this stuff? And how hard is it for a total idiot to install (pretend you are talking to a semi-literate monkey)?

If it sounds feasible, I will try and get some software and install it. If it is a pain, please let me know. Or if anyone knows what I might be doing wrong on the laptop to make the files be compatible, please tell me!

As you can see, I dont know what I am talking about, so plaster all sorts of stuff against the wall - I am open to all ideas.

Thanks! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

What type of office software does it have (exactly)?

The machine with M$ Office may be able to open the files if you change the "Files of type:" pulldown in the open file window.

If you need a piece of software that will open and save :Word: documents and Excel sheets and create presentations, you may want to give Open Office a try.

http://www.openoffice.org/

It's free and plays pretty well with M$ Office. The only downside I found when playing with it was that it doesn't understand the M$ bullets in presentations.

I say since it's free, it's worth a shot.

Thank so much for the replies guy!

DP, I appreciate the offer, but Stang-GT-Matt hit it on the head (dial up). And foremost, I am pretty uptight about that kind of thing - I dont mind buying the real deal if it is affordable. But hopefully some of you guys can help me figure out how to make this existing stuff work. :nice:

I have not tried to do any file sharing (from her puter to mine)- my better-half is the one who does Presentations and what not. I will go try her laptop a little and try to familiarize myself with how her Software works.

Matt (Illwood), it is a newer (new within the last year) puter with "WordPerfect Office 12".

I think it is like this:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell.../Display&pfid=1047024307359&pid=1047022958453

I think she said that she had opened a new document and set it up in the MS Word format (you have several choices with that software). But when we tried to open the disk on my machine it said it could not be read and wanted to access the internet to DL something so it could read the file (or something like that). I shut that whole process down since I had no clue what was going on. I dont know if knowing that helps.......

Let me know what other info might help. It would be nice if this existing stuff could be made to work - I am just leary of DL'ing or trying different stuff without it being suggested by someone else, since I dont understand puter stuff too much.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts!

DarkProphet said:
Well my university gives us free software, I know its illegal, but I refuse to pay for something that should come with my 200 dollar windows xp. I hate microsoft, and could care less what happens to them.

Yeah, I am sure bill gates is driving a pinto to work every day...

And JT, what is the file type that you created originally? What's the file extension? What program do you use on the laptop to open these files? That program is the one you need to install. Then just use that program to open the files and voila!
Scott

You can get powerpoint in an office package for a fairly reasonable price. It's especially reasonable when you factor in that you won't need to replace it for several years (no need to run the latest).

BTW, on piracy, remember that with the internet, it is getting incredibly easy for Microsoft to track your illicit use of pirated software, even without your knowledge. So swim only at your own (high) risk. Before you pirate, you should really try open office. If you can't download, I'd be happy to burn you a copy and mail to you. Just let me know.

Oh, and I would guess that you have Microsoft Works. Works has a word processor, spreadsheet and other stuff. It's generally sufficient. Just be sure to save in Word format (etc) if you want to use your files on another machine.

Mike, thank you for the links. Ouch - that stuff is more expensive than I thought. Someone on here recently posted that one could get XP for 99 bucks. So I had thought that an MS Office package might be comparable. Guess not! Thanks for letting me know that I might stand a chance at installing it. Maybe, just maybe. :lol:

Scott, um I have no idea what you are talking about. :( You did a fly-by on me, but the pattern is clear for another attempt. :rlaugh:

Originally she had done something on the Corel software in its version of a "Word compatible" file (or something like that. It was supposed to be the option that was compatible with MS Word). She saved the work on a disk and tossed the disk in my XP/MS Office machine and the file would not open. We were promoted (while on my machine) to go online and DL some dealie to translate it. I stopped it at that point since I was not comfy with whatever it was going to try and do.

I will have to play with it and get specific info for y'all. That was as far as we went with it - she has been using my puter for Power Point and Excel stuff since the Word doc did not work for us.

I do really appreciate the replies. It sounds like you guys might be able to help me figure out how to make the two softwares compatible enough to read eachothers' doc's, which is all I need.

I will try and gather some specific info (file types, prompt-verbage, etc) and see if you can make heads or tails of it.

Greg, great info. I am curious about that Open Office stuff. If we cant make the existing software see eye-to-eye, I might have to give that a shot. :nice: I had never heard of it (which is no big surprise. LOL).

Thank you for all the info and advice!

HISSIN50 said:
Ouch - that stuff is more expensive than I thought. Someone on here recently posted that one could get XP for 99 bucks. So I had thought that an MS Office package might be comparable. Guess not!
Yeah, they'll sell the OS cheaper because they know without it, the computer is useless, but add-on stuff is always expensive. Check out http://www.pricewatch.com for some prices. I always search on there for deals on computer items, and software is available there, too. I personally avoid NewEgg like the plague now, since I placed an order with them that they weren't able to fulfill (out of stock item shown as in stock), and then wouldn't cancel my order and refund my money. They took some "prodding" from my bank to issue a refund.

StangGT1995 said:
I personally avoid NewEgg like the plague now, since I placed an order with them that they weren't able to fulfill (out of stock item shown as in stock), and then wouldn't cancel my order and refund my money. They took some "prodding" from my bank to issue a refund.
I understand why you wouldn't deal with them after an experience like that, but I've always had very good dealings with NewEgg on the many occasions that I've bought things. When I recieved a DOA hard drive a few years ago they were great about the RMA swap.