PCV oil problems - Help please

Jaym14

Jan 26, 2009
Long Island, N.Y.
When I purchased my car the previous owner had an aftermarket pcv set up which did not utilize the stock upper intake connection. The set up was apparently not working well b/c too much pressure was building and I was blowing oil out of the seals like crazy. So I changed to pcv to the stock style set up and that solved the oil through the seals issue but now I'm apparently sucking oil through the intake and burning it like crazy. Can anyone help trouble shoot this? A friend suggested I try a pump set up but that seems unnecessary to me. I'm sure there is a much simpler solution.

• Sponsors (?)

Time to update this thread....

So I went ahead and installed a brand new PCV screen (old one was not clogged and looked almost new - so it was never the problem), and a new motorcraft PCV (had a cheap crapo aftermarket one in there) and I'm still sucking tons of oil into the intake.

I really need to stop this, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much oil is getting burned.

Someone suggested a catch can, how does the set up work?

What are some alternative PCV set ups I can look into? I know I can run it into the exhaust... (my car never goes on the sniffer :p) or maybe I can get one of these... Steeda Oil Separator - Ford Mustang I'm guessing this might be the catch can set up?

What do you guys think? I really need to solve this issue!

Ok so I've done a lot of reading and educated myself on how the PCV works and hows its supposed to be hooked up. Then I went and looked at how my car is actually set up..... here's where I'm at:

As stated in the opening post, when I purchased the car it had some crazy PCV (or lack there of) set up and I was blowing oil out of every conceivable place. So I hooked up the PCV at the stock location from the lower intake into the upper intake and installed and new screen and motorcraft PCV and now I'm burning oil like crazy but not leaking anymore. Both openings in the valve covers are connected with PCV hose and a T fitting to a snorkel/breather element mounted to the fender near the shock tower. There is no connection to the TB whatsoever. So basically, it appears that the lower intake/upper intake combo is doing a sufficient job at relieving CC pressure but that's also where all of my oil consumption is coming from (since this is the only possible place). What would you guys recommend I do?

If you're SD, this might be ok. If you're MAF, it sounds like your breather/valve cover thing is creating a situation with unmetered air. Though not your issue, it's something to address (if you are MAF).

I'd ensure the baffle is there. Then I'd try running the secondary hose as OEM (oil filler to TB). You can put a separator on this line as well as the PCV line (so both pathways have a mechanism to knock oil down).

Is there a check-valve on the lines running from the VC to the element in the fender?

Can you run hose in the intake tube closer to the filter so there isnt as much vac.????????? I would think that would work.:flag:

I'm not sure exactly what your suggesting here.

If you're SD, this might be ok. If you're MAF, it sounds like your breather/valve cover thing is creating a situation with unmetered air. Though not your issue, it's something to address (if you are MAF).

I am MAF... 80MM ProM & 75MM Accufab TB.. 30lb injectors

I'd ensure the baffle is there. Then I'd try running the secondary hose as OEM (oil filler to TB). You can put a separator on this line as well as the PCV line (so both pathways have a mechanism to knock oil down).

I figured this as well, but I don't have a baffle in there so I'd have to address that first. Can you suggest an alternative set up that might work?

Is there a check-valve on the lines running from the VC to the element in the fender?

Nope :notnice:
In regards to the unmetered air... isn't any air that would be sucked into the TB (if it was hooked to the oil filler) unmetered as well since this is all occurring after the MAF?

The stock PCV system is a closed loop of all metered air. As you noted, all the plumbing is after the MAF (if it was before, you'd also have an unmetered air situation).

Once you get the baffle installed, the rest of it might take care of itself.

There is a Splash Baffle inside the valve cover right under the oil fill neck and I believe one bolted on under the lower intake right under the PCV valve opening.
But If you are losing that much oil,there might be some other problem. I kill a ring on my S/C Mustang once and oil was coming out of the PCV like there is no tomorrow.

You could build one of those oil separator set up for around $20-25

But then that and the catch can is only good for holding the oil coming up of the intake and not correcting the oiling problem.