PCV Valve help !!

GMJ91

New Member
Sep 7, 2005
16
0
0
Maryland
Can the PCV vavle be capped off or deleted or can it be vented into the air instead on the intake ? I ask because I'm 99% sure the PCV valve is my vacuum leak. I do have the valve cover breathers is that hurting or helping me. Will it hurt the motor if I cap both the valve and the intake. Any comment would help alot. THANK YOU.
 
if your running breathers on the valve covers then the pcv system is creating small vacuum leak through the crank. plus the pcv system isnt needed cause blowby can escape via the breathers. i got rid of my pcv system and just run two breathers but i have a sc.
 
GMJ91 said:
Can the PCV vavle be capped off or deleted or can it be vented into the air instead on the intake ? I ask because I'm 99% sure the PCV valve is my vacuum leak. I do have the valve cover breathers is that hurting or helping me. Will it hurt the motor if I cap both the valve and the intake. Any comment would help alot. THANK YOU.

Breathers cannot be used with a pcv.

For some other options check out this thread...
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=637524
 
mustangman33 said:
Thanks for the reply Hissin, but if I went with closed breathers and no PCV system, will the oil possibly leak in other places, or will this stop the oil leak all together?
The simple fact is that the crankcase vapors have to go somewhere and they are messy. PCV vapor is no different, except the mess is distributed back into the intake.

A closed breather atleast allows one to either vent the stuff to a remote location or to vent it back into the motor (vs having oily residue all over the VC's).

There are about 40 ways to do things and a lot depends upon the individual set-up and how much blow-by is occuring.

Good luck.
 
My problem is if I let my car sit idle for awhile, theres a big oil spot left behind and I can literaly see the oil dripping out of the breathers. And last year I went to the track they wouldn't let me run because of the leak. Im heading back in a few weeks and I need this fixed before I waste another trip.
 
mustangman33 said:
My problem is if I let my car sit idle for awhile, theres a big oil spot left behind and I can literaly see the oil dripping out of the breathers. And last year I went to the track they wouldn't let me run because of the leak. Im heading back in a few weeks and I need this fixed before I waste another trip.
The guys that have more blowby like this can help (like Jason - no offense bud!). Perhaps running a vent line from the breathers to a large catch can would work. Or run something like a Jaz can.

Good luck and bump for others' thoughts.
 
None taken JT.
I actually think part of my problem was bad valve seals. I have the pcv system completely under control now, and I still have oil in the intake. The separator stays clean so the heads are currently being rebuilt.

What fixed the pcv for me was a second pcv valve. I now have one in the back of the lower intake (stock) and one mounted in the drivers side valve cover. Both of these pcv valves are routed to an oil separator, which flows to the intake. Here is a pic.
http://forums.stangnet.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45083&d=1149575196

I tried to explain why the second valve helped here.
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=637524

Basically with 2 valves the velocity of the air moving through each pcv valve is greatly reduced. Higher air velocities will pick up more oil, just like a tornado can pick up a house or car.

jason