Personal preference for double-din?

nosjunke

Jul 14, 2003
Pope field, NC
I'm going over and over in my head what kind of double-din radio to get to replace the Mach460 unit I currently have. I've been checking out Eclipse, which I have in my truck, BUT they don't have "bluetooth ready", a little behind the times. I've checked out the panasonic units, pioneer units, the Alpine units. I can't really decide.
SO, I was going to ask you about your thoughts and experiences with any of the CURRENT DOUBLE-DIN CD/DVD units.
If you DO NOT recommend a certain pranb/model, please let me know why.

Car is a 2001 Cobra Convertable.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm going over and over in my head what kind of double-din radio to get to replace the Mach460 unit I currently have. I've been checking out Eclipse, which I have in my truck, BUT they don't have "bluetooth ready", a little behind the times. I've checked out the panasonic units, pioneer units, the Alpine units. I can't really decide.
SO, I was going to ask you about your thoughts and experiences with any of the CURRENT DOUBLE-DIN CD/DVD units.
If you DO NOT recommend a certain pranb/model, please let me know why.

Car is a 2001 Cobra Convertable.

I did a ton of reading too, and decided on the Avic D3 from Pioneer. Mainly because Crutchfield had a special where you get 15% off and a free back up camera (sold it on ebay for just under 200 bux) So, in the end, I paid about 650 for it.

Some people don't like it because it only has one disc slot, but my Yukon is the same way so it didn't bother me. I bought the $30 iPod adapter and have no use for cd's or a disc changer. It's a great radio. There's one or two things I don't like, but over all it's minor "issues" and mostly related to how it's different from what I'm used too :D

here's a few pics

ebay_pics013.jpg

ebay_pics011.jpg

here's where I mounted the antennas

ebay_pics004.jpg

I plan on doing a post on this some day. I followed the instructions that someone else posted. I got the 70-5519, bass blockers, and everything else, CF sent me.

for comparison, here's the factory unit in my Yukon
yukongps0855.jpg

yukongps0856.jpg

I do have the mod done where you can use full control. www.avic411.com has some good info. I don't watch dvd's on it, I just wanted to be able to control the gps while driving

no problem. If you do order from Crutchfield, I think the 15% off discount is good until the end of the year. You can also get $20 off by using this refer a friend thing they sent me pfbjh-b10ct-24260 I used someone elses and it worked great

If you have any questions, or need more pics, let me know