Pertronix Ignitor question, and any real benefit to "performance" spark plug wires?

SadbutTrue

Founding Member
May 1, 2002
Granada Hills, California
I have a relatively hot ignition already (MSD 6a and an aftermarket coil). My plug wires are shot, so I'm thinking I might just spend the extra few bucks for some 8mm wires as opposed to the 7mm ones I used to have, if theres any use. I also was looking a Pertronix Ignitor unit (I've heard using one of these to get rid of the points can be one of the best upgrades you can do all around for a classic), but I'm worried it might not be compatible with my MSD or coil.

Any comments?

• Sponsors (?)

As I recall from reading an article in Car Craft (or was it Hot Rod???), they noted no horsepower or torque benefits from "performance" wires. What they did say was there was a wide range in terms of "quality" and "durability". I think it was a different article that did a comparison of wires in terms of cost, fit, pull pressure (the amount required to remove the boot from the plug), and a couple other things. I think most of the expensive wires did pretty well, but so did $30 yellow Accels.

As for 8mm vs. 7 mm, certainly 8mm wires should provide for less resistance (more current flow), but I can't tell you how much. :shrug: Ultimately, I think you want to find a wire that flows adequate current, has decent durability, and doesn't break the bank... my vote is for good ol' Accels or Mallorys.

Hope this helps... :shrug:

Get the Ford Racing wires for small blocks ( 9mm) they last well over a year, fit well too. Use a small to large cap adapter and large EFI dist cap and rotor with them. I've had one set ( out of three or four I've had so far) on a 95 E150 351 Van, and they've been there going on four years now , cooped up inside that HOT engine compartment, and they're still going strong. Can't beat the price either, like $40 a set thru Summit

When my stock replacement wires gave up I bought the solid corre accels. Mabey im crazy, but I could have sworn that I got better throttle responce. If I had to do it again I would buy a nicer set like taylor.

According to the guys at petronix, it is said to use a petronix coil with the petronix ignitor.

I don't know if it's just a marketing ploy or not but since I needed a new one anyways I went with the flamethrower.

i also have a question..
i called cranecams about their vacuum advance kit and using it with an ignitor and he said i didnt need a vacuum advance kit because the ignitor controlled the timing or something to that affect
what do you guys think?

i also have msd 6a

last question - what is the gap supposed to be on the ignitor? i lost my spacer... and its a long story, but i want to recheck my gap.

thanks

thanks for the reply, how would i know if it was only mechanical?
it does have a vacuum hose connected to the carb though... so i can only assume ...

also, vacuum advance kit is same as "recurve kit" people have been saying is a good upgrade lately?

A mechanical advance unit will not have any provision for a vacuum diaphram unit to be bolted to it. The vacuum kit is different from a re-curve kit. The re-curve kit contains the springs and weights necessary to change the way the mechanical adavnce under the points plate advance the dist timing. In most vacuum adv. dist there's also a mechanical advance mechanism in there too.

D.Hearne said:
You have to use a points type coil with a Pertronix unit. Not one designed for other ignition types.

Also note worthy I think is that while you do not need the flamethrower coil per say, not just any points type coil will neccessarily work. For example my exisiting coil was just fine, but it was also designed to use with an internal resistor which you do not want to use with the kit. To play it safe I just spent the extra cash on the flamethrower since my particular install was anything but text book and I had to modify and fabricate almost everything becsuse of my distributor. A long story I won't bore you with but there is a thread on it if you run into problems.

In addition, be aware that there are two different V8 units with pertronix, one for vaccumm advance and one with out so be sure to get the correct one.

Pakrat said:
Also note worthy I think is that while you do not need the flamethrower coil per say, not just any points type coil will neccessarily work. For example my exisiting coil was just fine, but it was also designed to use with an internal resistor which you do not want to use with the kit. To play it safe I just spent the extra cash on the flamethrower since my particular install was anything but text book and I had to modify and fabricate almost everything becsuse of my distributor. A long story I won't bore you with but there is a thread on it if you run into problems.

In addition, be aware that there are two different V8 units with pertronix, one for vaccumm advance and one with out so be sure to get the correct one.
Ditto here :nice: I went with a Mallory Promaster (for points ignition) coil on my Ranger's Pertronix II and it's worked great. My 68 Merc's Pertronix I has the Flamethrower coil. Can't tell the difference between the two. I had the Pertronix I / Flamethrower on the Ranger before using it on the 390. If there's a difference, it surely doesn't show up on the seat-of-the-pants meter.

I hate to point out that blkfrd is backwards. Voltage is like the water in a hose and current is the flow. You cannot increase the voltage to the spark plugs. 12 volts is all the battery produces. Amps(current) increase when you reduce the resistance in the wires.

As far as the Ignitor, I read that the Ignitor is not compatable with MSD. The multiple sparks will burn up the Ignitor. I'm not sure about the Ignitor II. I think it is used with Pentronix's new multi-spark ignition. It's a low cost alternative to MSD.

Okay, I suffered from a brain fart. :doh: The coil is designed to create its own voltage from the battery, thus being able to greatly increase the voltage to the plugs. The statement blkfrd said "Thers is NOT a lot of current running thru the plug wires" is incorrect. According to Ohm's Law, Voltage=Amps x Resistance. Thus when voltage increases, the amps will increase too. Still electricity is like water: voltage is like the water in a hose, current is the flow of the water, and resistance is like putting your finger on the end of the hose.

splinterddt said:
Okay, I suffered from a brain fart. :doh: The coil is designed to create its own voltage from the battery, thus being able to greatly increase the voltage to the plugs. The statement blkfrd said "Thers is NOT a lot of current running thru the plug wires" is incorrect. According to Ohm's Law, Voltage=Amps x Resistance. Thus when voltage increases, the amps will increase too. Still electricity is like water: voltage is like the water in a hose, current is the flow of the water, and resistance is like putting your finger on the end of the hose.
:D Gotcha, didn't I? :D :nice: But I think( maybe I'm wrong here :shrug: ) the amperage stays the same from before the coil, to the plugs. The voltage is jumped up by the coil, otherwise that 12 volts wouldn't jump the plug gap.