PI swap compression question

Skidzz

Tinkerbell
Apr 11, 2005
Salt Lake City, UT
I've had all my PI parts for a while now. I've been saving for the labor costs, but there is one thing I didn't think about until tonight. I hear the compression will go up to about a 10:5:1. Exactly how high is this? It won't be dangerous for the engine or anything, will it? This is my only car and while I want more power, I can't afford to be constantly paying for repairs. Will my new compression be ok for a daily driver?

• Sponsors (?)

as far as i know the compression is alright for a daily driver. just don't go putting any power adders on it without checking into it more. try searching the forums for pi intake swaps and see what u come up with. Also, make sure whoever is going to do the swap knows what they are doing. Its not just take off the old heads and replace them with the new ones.

I agree. i read that the only problem is you would have to use premium gas after the swap due to the high compression. Also make sure you thighten your plugs so they don't shoot out and strip the thread. I was saving up for the swap too but had to cancel due to $$$ problems. Sold most of my PI stuff. I think i'll go the other route and get a PI engine.

A few years ago I had asked that very same question, Mr.Vax's reply was "Just do the swap and don't look back!" and that's just what I did. Best advice I've ever taken.
Changed my thoughts on the Stang from a "Ho hum, I think I should sell it," to " Whoo Hoo, I like my car!!!" ::hail2: :nice:

98bluevert said:
as far as i know the compression is alright for a daily driver. just don't go putting any power adders on it without checking into it more.
I'll half agree with you on that. Although high compression can be tough to work around with forced induction like a Blower or Turbo....Nitrous Oxide on the other hand LOOOOOVES a good squeeze!

98bluevert said:
Also, make sure whoever is going to do the swap knows what they are doing. Its not just take off the old heads and replace them with the new ones.
Its not? you know this cause you've done it? I could have swore it was a direct swap when i did mine...:rolleyes: The PI swap is not hard at all. All you need is the proper parts, tools, and a friend or 2 who won't mind spending a weekend playing with your car.

phoenix99 said:
Thanks,
as soon as I've sold my nitrous kit, I'll look for a shop who sell the heads and intake.
Anyone know a good one here in Quebec? :)
Thanks
Only place i can think of in Canada to buy a complete PI swap is Sean Hyland Motorsports.

Here most buy from Parkway Ford. Complete kit is $1350 u.s. shipped, not sure what SHM charges.

'97 GT with mods in sig:
attachment.php

DO IT!