Pilot bearing replacement question.

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
I'm attempting to swap out the tranny in my car right now and am replacing the pilot bearing while everything is out since it came with my clutch kit. The pilot bearing that I got came with the metal sleeve (or retainer) that goes around it. I figured out how to get the bearings out of the original one, but how do you get that large metal sleeve out from around the bearings?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, after messing with it for a few hours I finally got it broken out and swapped out for the new one. What a god damn nightmare. :notnice:

Thanks for your help though 88mouse.

quick way to swap a pilot bearing out, fill the input shaft hole full of wheel bearing grease, find a socket to snugly fit the hole, take that socket and a hammer and try to pound it out. works good if you get the hang of it. works better if you got an ext. on the end of the socket so the grease dont fly out lol.

I just rented the pilot bearing puller from Autozone. I had it out of the car in a few minutes. Much easier than beating it out like the last one I did about 12 years ago.

agreed, i used the Slide Hammer from Autozone, put down 80 bucks deposit and got it right back in 1/2 an hour. Can't beat the ease of it, either

I've done quite of few of these. First few I used the grease method, what a mess and nightmare. Next time, got the slide hammer with pilot bearing end. Had the old bearing out in two pulls. Never going to use the grease method again.

quick way to swap a pilot bearing out, fill the input shaft hole full of wheel bearing grease, find a socket to snugly fit the hole, take that socket and a hammer and try to pound it out. works good if you get the hang of it. works better if you got an ext. on the end of the socket so the grease dont fly out lol.

That trick won't work with a rolle pilot bearing. I tried.

agreed, i used the Slide Hammer from Autozone, put down 80 bucks deposit and got it right back in 1/2 an hour. Can't beat the ease of it, either

I use the puller and all it did was pulled the inner part out. The outer race was the same size as the inside of the crank, so the puller didn't have anything to catch on.

That trick won't work with a rolle pilot bearing. I tried.

I use the puller and all it did was pulled the inner part out. The outer race was the same size as the inside of the crank, so the puller didn't have anything to catch on.

Same here, it just pulled the inner out right away, I finally got the outer out after some beating and tightening the expanding fingers veryy tight :bs: