Pink resistor wire removal

pyroman

Founding Member
Jul 28, 2002
Ennis, Texas
I need to hook my MSD switched power lead to a connection that has power in both 'on' and 'start'. The only real easiest way I hear to do this is to tap into the positive coil lead where it taps into the ignition switch. Before I start cutting wires I want to make sure I'm tapping into the right spot. Now the coil wire is red with green stripe right?

Also the pink resistor wire limits the voltage to the old coil to like 6-7 volts. What I'm sort of unclear on is where the pink wire begins/ends and where the coil wire begins/ends? Does the pink wire go directly in the ignition switch? When I look under my dash I can see both, but I can't really see all to well so some tips on doing this would be greatly appreciated. Any good drawings or pictures?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I have no trouble using the pink wire unmodded. It takes so little current that it does not drop too much to turn on an MSD box. It takes current flowing through the wire to cause a voltage drop. If it had a voltage regulator it would be different.

Why don't you put in a relay and run it off of the starter motor relay ?

It's a thought but I already have so many wires running off of the starter solenoid that I'd like to avoid adding any extras. How would you go about that? Because in order to have power in the 'start' position you'd have to tap off of the starter side of the post, but that wouldn't give you any power when the key is in the 'on' position?

I have no trouble using the pink wire unmodded. It takes so little current that it does not drop too much to turn on an MSD box. It takes current flowing through the wire to cause a voltage drop. If it had a voltage regulator it would be different.

Really? I never thought about that, you happen (or anyone) to know what exactly the resistance is in the wire?

Ok I got down to my ignition switch but want to make some clarifications before I start snipping.

Basically I'm seeing 4 wires coming out of the switch. They are:

-Large Pink
-Large Yellow
-Red w/Blue Stripe
-Green w/Red stripe

So I'm guessing the pink wire is obviously the resistor wire and the red w/blue stripe goes to the s-
terminal on the solenoid.

The yellow wire isn't of concern to me. But the green and red wire is. Is that the one that goes to the coil? Because this one looks more like green w/ red stripe while the coil wire is specified to be red w/ a green stripe. Are they one in the same??

Also, where exactly does the pink wire connect to the coil wire?

I've got some pictures too:

DSC_0041-1.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0040-1.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

The pink and yellow wires are pretty easy to see in those pictures but the red/blue and green/red are a little more difficult to see, but they are there, haha.