PINKS idea!

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
Alright this is not my idea but was posted on a thirdgen Fbody board I visit regularly and it sounded like it could work.

Each message board gets donations (either parts or money), sponsors, and people to do the work on their particular car (thirgen for them, fox for stangnet). Both cars are built in the same state and then raced at a nice central location (trying to keep travel costs down). The winning team takes both cars, auctions them off and the money goes to charity. The idea is great on paper but here are some concerns...

The guys who have to build and race the car have to obviousely be dedicated to the project. Its tough to ask someone to build a car, to then race it and sell it. Its more of a charity and feel good about yourself thing than personal gain.

The money isnt an issue so long as a lot of people chip in a little cash. With the amount of guys on the site if you could get $1 or 2 from each it would go a LONG way. Granted that will never happen, but you still have to know how many people will donate. If you only have 100 people donating its never going to fly. I dont see sending (paypal works great for this) $2 to be a big deal, but lots of people wotn have any motivation to this and will just close the PM and not think twice about it.

Parts I dont see being a big deal. Getting donated parts probably wont be easy to come by (most parts people donate wont be good on a 9 second or better car) but the money you can make selling the parts you wanted to donate (again thirdgen boards idea) could be sent in, and used to build the car off used parts on the Mustang boards!

All in all the idea could very well work. It depends on a few things and some dedicated guys as well, but it could be something that happens and could help a great charity (which who wouldnt want to do that). Let me know if anyone here is interested, and if its a good idea. If so maybe send a mass PM (thirdgen idea) and see how many people would be willing to part with a few bucks.

*Link to thirdgen board*
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/organized-drag-racing-autocross/369745-pinks-please-read.html

• Sponsors (?)

Strype said:
I'll give well over $1 for that :nice:

I think this same idea came up a couple of months ago and never flew. :shrug:

:stupid: I'd drop a few $$ too, but i think very similar ideas have come up and never even gotton off the ground. We need a shop to build it...and if someone uses their personal shop they are taking away from business, Its a great idea but I just dont see it working out...:shrug:

Thats where the problem lies, having the people to do it. Everyone will throw money in, but getting someone to actually go into the garage and build a car is rough, when we all have our own projects. Its worth a shot (I didnt see the other post) but if it doesnt happen, didnt hurt to discuss it!

Hmmm...

bcd, MyBad70, Bill302, me (Strype :D) and a few others live within a few minutes of each other :shrug:

I gots nowhere to put a project car though, and, I've personally never built a motor :(

Well building motors isnt hard but has to be done with precision and done right. The engine doesnt even have to be anything nuts...

My friend just went 9.98 with his car. Stock block, stock crank, stock rod 308, Iron TFS heads (old school castings), big cam, and a carb. With a 180 shot and a good 60' time. Car has a proshifted tremec, 4.10s, all the suspension goodies and a 26" tire. A combo like this could be built with a decent chassis, buying used parts and having someone who can put the car together and test it.

Hissin actually lives up my way (I believe). Again whoever decides to take on the chore of building it, is going to have to be dedicted, which is why having a bunch of people would be nice...

Oh well, discussion is great, keep the ideas coming, or the neg or pos talk!

I would donate to that, plus the donations you make and the procedes (sp) from selling the cars and giving the money to charity would be a tax write off as well.

That to me is a WIN-WIN situation, for putting about 6months or so into a project. Think about it, selling the cars on Ebay or a Charity Auction that was won on a TV show PINKS.

Good idea, use the media to help with a charity. Sponsors would totally go for that because like I said at the begining it's a TAX write off for them and they promotional status on TV from PINKS!

I think we should....

I just want people to see the post and show some interest. If it came down to it, I wonder if a mass PM could go out, and ask for a $1 or $2 donation. Although you only get the satisfaction of helping out, you can still feel like part of it. Maybe have the guys building it keep a picture documentary, and post when new things happen. People can discuss ideas for mods, and the car in the end will be sold off to someone (maybe from the website here) for a good cause!

How much $$ would we really need to come up with in total? Even if we had a hundred people donate, that would only make $200-$300 total. It's gonna take a lot of people or a few people with a lot of $$.

Guys the only way its ognna happen is with sponsers, get local shops and such and ask them. The shop name goes on the car, therefore they get free cable tv advertising, they get to showoff whatever products they donate, and they look good for charity, there can even be a little thanks to our sponsers section at the end of the show with phone #s and addresses...:nice:

ill throw in 10 if it gets going. check with local speed shops. they love to help.

a cheap coupe roller or a hatch roller caqn be picked up for 500 or so if you look.

go to a junk yard even to find a car thats allready striped of the stuff that we wouldent need.