PIP / Hall Effect Sensor / Distributor Pick Up Coil - What Brand?

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
Claremore, OK
What brand of PIP / hall effect sensor / distributor pick up coil are you guys using? I cannot for the life of me find a Motorcarft unit and about the only thing I am seeing that I would possibly trust is a Standard Ignition LX222T.

• Sponsors (?)

I literally found and NOS one last night and bought it. Appreciate the offer so if someone else needs it they should speak up.

Would still be curious what people are using other than Motorcraft units. Or maybe the best would be what you have used and didn’t work or failed?

Honestly, I'd used a used junkyard/Ebay one over a lot of the electronics being sold today, even some motorcraft electronics. I'd search and buy some OLD NOS ford or motorcraft parts.

10-20 years ago, there were still plenty of 5.0 powered Fords, mercury's and lincolns on the road, so there was more incentive for manufacturers to compete for that market. Now, it's just the fox enthusiast market, which is relatively small in the grand scheme of things. The market for these parts is dwindling and we are down to the lowest bidder in a pool or 2-3 manufacturers. Quality is down.

Reactions: 1 user
I went for the o'reilly brand pip/distributor. Its been in the car for about 3 months now working great so far. I do plan on rebuilding my original eventually though.

The du-30c looked just like an lx222 t in blue resin so the old grey t series if you see one on flebay.. Last few motorcraft I had where mexico same as the old grey t series... the old blue resin lx222, none t series used a different molding to hold the coil and might have been an upgrade, possibly a better coil winding. Might find those under BW #me-48.. I didn't cut any apart. Wells had a blue resin one with smaller gauge wire shrink wrapped, All the current parts store stuff seems to be either be repacked black resin smp or regitars out of china and molding isn't as clean, only way to them apart from each other is looking at the coil molding Need to find my old ones and cut some up to see if there's any differences in the coil winding since a couple I replaced had aftermarket ones in them.

its pretty hard to screw that part up since its dead simple but I'm sure they can find a way to cheapen out the magnet or the winding, i think I kept them. I rebuilt 4 stock distributor with old stock parts I snagged on ebay, one for each car when I noticed how hard they where to find, I snagged a couple motorcrafts d u 30s in the $25 range but they sell the day they get listed most of the time. Rest where old stock smp stuff for about $20 per distributor for tfi's and pick ups. Even decent caps and rotors are hard to find now.

I went for the o'reilly brand pip/distributor. Its been in the car for about 3 months now working great so far. I do plan on rebuilding my original eventually though.

If its the aftermarket full Assembly I wouldn't stress them to bad. Ever one I've seen has the cheapest roll pin and a non pressed fit distributor gear.. I have one of them also. The WAI branded one but, there all the same castings... I changed out the roll pins for spring pins, still wouldn't use it on car turning decent rpms.